11 October 2007

Spiritual Disciplines


Lauren Winner makes the following observation regarding spiritual disciplines in Mudhouse Sabbath.

Jews do these things with more attention and wisdom not because they are more righteous nor because God likes them better, but rather because doing, because action, sits at the center of Judaism. Practice is to Judaism what belief is to Christianity. That is not to say that Judaism doesn’t have dogma or doctrine. It is rather to say that, for Jews, the essence of the thing is a doing, an action. Your faith might come and go, but your practice ought not waver…This is perhaps best explained by a midrash (a rabbinic commentary on a biblical text). This midrash explains a curious turn of phrase in the Book of Exodus: “Na’aseh v’nishma,” which means “we will do and we will hear’ or ‘we will do and we will understand,” a phrase drawn from Exodus 24, in which the people of
Israel proclaim “All the words that God has spoken, we will do and we will hear."

The word order, the rabbis have observed, doesn’t seem to make any sense: How can a person obey God’s commandment before they hear it? But the counterintuitive lesson, the midrash continues, is precisely that one acts out God’s commands, one does things unto God, and eventually, through the doing, one will come to hear and understand and believe. In this midrash, the rabbis have offered an apology for spiritual practice, for doing (Mudhouse Sabbath ix-x).

The most meaningful spiritual disciplines in my life are: exercise, tithing, working with the poor, weekly confession, sabbath-keeping, and reading.

What are the disciplines in your life that create space for the presence of God?

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Okay, I don't have as many as you. Guess it's because I work, I'm in school, and have 3 kids. It's hard to make time for anything. But the one thing I have done is I get up every morning at 5:00am and that is my alone time with God. Right now I'm reading through the book of Acts everyday for the whole month to see how God uses the information from ther in my life. So far, it's been amazing the changes I've seen not only in my life but in my attitude.
I stay outside each morning to enjoy the breeze, the quietness, and the sunrise, and enjoy just being still and talking with God. My prayers are scattered, but there is something to be said of being still and knowing God. My days don't go right if I don't have that moment each day. It's waht I call my 'selfish' time with God! ;o)
So, that's what I do and I've made it a habit and it is good.

Josh Graves said...

Brenda:

Reading through Acts is a powerful discipline.

I just have to say...:)

Ouch!

You wrote "Guess it's because I work, I'm in school, and have 3 kids."

Just for the record, I work, teach at Rochester College and am starting grad school up again in a few months :)

Ok, I hear you. Having kids is the caveat in the discussion. I think the busier you are the more disciplines you need. The busier you are the more creative you have to be too.

Brenda said...

Josh! I can't tell you how much God has revealed in my life this month and it is only the 12th day. Sometimes in my reading I just don't get what he's trying to tell me. However, it's usually in my mornings with him that He gives away the answer and it is SOOO obvious! I'm trying to decide what I will read next month.

And yes, I think I trump you with the 3 kids!!! ;o)

Josh Graves said...

Brenda.

Touche.

Have you thought about reading "The Messiah of Morris Avenue" by Tony Hendra? It's a book about God coming to the United States in The Bronx (as opposed to Nazareth).

It's an excellent book. BTW...it isn't in the Christian genre section but it is a profound piece.

Bob said...

Can you say more about how sabbath-keeping works out in practice for you? Have you negotiated with your wife to determine what you will or won't do during that time?

Josh Graves said...

Bob:

Good question.

Most weeks I practice Sabbath from Friday afternoon to Saturday afternoon.

I consider work to be anything I don't want to do (I'm smiling as I write that).

I love to read, work out, go for walks, take a nap for Sabbath as well as spend time with friends. Though spending time with people often feels like work for me (a true introvert).

That's probably the area we disagree over the most.