25 October 2007

The Power of Confession

Donald Miller got a crazy idea when he was a college student to put up a confession booth on the secular and anti-Christian campus of Reed College. His timing was a bit awkward for he wanted to do this during Ren Fayre, a time of drinking, drug use, and orgies. Instead of asking other students to confess their sins (something Christians are curiously good at), Miller led the experiment by offering a confession of his own sins, as well as the past sins of Christianity.

You never question the truth of something until you have to explain it to a skeptic. I didn’t feel like being in the booth or wearing that stupid monk outfit. I wanted to go to the rave. Everybody in there was cool, and we were just religious.

I was just going to tell Tony that I didn’t want to do it when he opened the curtain and said we had our first customer.

“What’s up, man?” Dude sat himself on the chair with a smile on his face. He told me my pipe smelled good.

“Thanks,” I said. I asked him his name, and he said his name was Jake. I shook his hand because I didn’t know what to do, really.

“So, what is this? I’m supposed to tell you all of the juicy gossip I did at Ren Fayre, right?” Jake said.

“No.”

“Okay, then what?” What’s the game?” He asked.

“Not really a game. More of a confession thing.”

“You want me to confess my sins, right?”

“No, that’s not what we’re doing, really.”

“What’s the deal, man? What’s with the monk outfit?”

“Well, we are, well, a group of Christians here on campus, you know.”

“I see. Strange place for Christians, but I am listening.”

“Thanks,” I told him. He was being very patient and gracious.” Anyway, there is a group of us, just a few of us who were thinking about the way Christians have wronged people over time.”

After haggling over the intent, Jake finally began to understand. The conversation took a serious turn once Jake realized that this was a life-giving proposition.

“So, you are confessing to me!” Jake said with a laugh

“Yeah. We are confessing to you. I mean, I am confessing to you.”

“You’re serious.” His laugh turned to something of a straight face.

I told him I was. He looked at me and told me I didn’t have to. I told him I did, and I felt very strongly in that moment that I was supposed to tell Jake that I was sorry about everything.”

After confessing for a good while, Jake became empowered. His passion increased with each passing second.

“It’s all right, man,” Jake said, very tenderly. His eyes starting to water.

“Well,” I said, clearing my throat, “I am sorry for all of that.”

“I forgive you,” Jake said. And he meant it.

The two talked for a little longer about the essence of the Christian story and Donald shared with him the Gospel message and Jake told all of his friends that they needed to visit the Christians in the confession booth. I can just imagine that conversation, “You won’t believe what those Christians are up to now!”

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with Donald Miller on a lot of things(mainly because he believes in a very "me" centered version of Christianity), but confessing your wrong doing as a Christian isn't that bad of an idea. I just worry about our testimony being destroyed while doing the same things as the world. From that snippet, it sounds like he was smoking a pipe.

Anonymous said...

To quote Professor Jack:

"Thank God there are still Christians who smoke."


-E Po

Anonymous said...

Emily, doesn't the Bible say that our bodies are to be temples? Would you smoke in the Holy of Holies? What about being set apart from the world in our behavior? I am not condoning isolation from non-Christians, but we aren't to do everything they do.

Josh Graves said...

David:

Each culture/age has its different understandings of what's taboo and what's not.

Paul told Timothy to take a little for his stomach. Christians fifty years ago didn't know what to do that passage.

I preached in a church in rural TN for one year where some of the women dipped snuff. That was weird to me because I'm from the suburbs of Detroit.

This is not to say there are not absolutes (cheating on your wife, getting drunk, lying on your taxes)--it is to say we draw the lines in places that Jesus (who turned water into a lot of alchohol...and it wasn't grape juice) and the NT do not themselves draw lines.

I think pipe smoking is one of those areas. I personally don't smoke (save the occasional cigar) but I don't make that a distinction of who's really committed to Jesus and who isn't. C.S. Lewis, for instance, was known to have a brew and a smoke on occasion as he crafted some of the most meaningful Christian literature of the modern era.

Josh Graves said...

it should read, "take a little wine"...whew, I got excited.

Anonymous said...

what is a "me" centered version of Christianity specific to Donald Miller? I have read most of his stuff and have not thought that about Donald Miller.

I would condemn smokers but I eat fast food and I can not say that Whoppers are better for my temple than a pipe is for his!

Anonymous said...

I think that if someone who smokes can connect with a non-Christian who otherwise wouldn't talk to a pious church person, then great. I think that God can anyone, no matter their addiction, no matter their past, no matter their appearance....

...and it's a good thing He does. If He only worked through perfect people, I can't imagine a whole lot would get done.

-E Po

Anonymous said...

Should have said 'God can use anyone'... I guess I got excited, too!

-E Po

Josh Graves said...

Kyle:

I saw "Into the Wild"--it was excellent. I'm sure the book is better for that is almost always the case.

Great film.

A bit long.

But a fascinating story. Thanks for suggesting it to me.

Anonymous said...

"Into the Wild" was a great book. I didn't see the movie. I also don't smoke, but I appreciate Donald Miller.

While I've never used tobacco in any form, don't drink alcohol, don't dance, and don't even drink coffee, in my experience that hasn't made me a good person. When I see people who do those things I don't, I cannot, therefore, assume they aren't good people.

Anonymous said...

Sorry That this changed to an "Into The Wild" conversation. I still would like to know where Donald Miller shows a "me centered " Christianity.

Glad you liked the movie. I am sure you are going to love the book. I am a much bigger fan of Krakauer as an author than Shawn Penn as a director.
It did feel long.
Did we discuss Under the Banner of Heaven? Another great Krakauer book.

Josh Graves said...

I don't have a clue how Donald Miller could be interpreted as promoting a "me" centered view of Christianity.

I really don't.

Perhaps David will have more to say in the coming days.

---

I have not read "Under the Banner of Heaven." I think the only Krakauer book I've read is "Into Thin Air."

Which, is an amazing book.