01 October 2007

Eat This Book

If you struggle reading the Bible, I have the book for you. It might be because you are no longer enamored with the stories. You might find the language difficult. The bridge between "then" (a.k.a. "In biblical times) and "now" might be too long a journey.

Eugene Peterson (author of The Message, superb translator, theologian and a "pastor’s pastor") has written a provocative, easy-to-read (I read it in a plane ride) guide. The book has an unusual title, Eat This Book.

Here are a few excerpts.

On exegesis (wrestling with the meaning of Scripture):

“..exegesis is an act of love. It loves the one who speaks the words enough to want to get words right. It respects the words enough to use every means we have to get the words right. Exegesis is loving God enough to stop and listen carefully to what he says. It follows that we bring the leisure and attention of lovers to this text, cherishing every comma and semicolon, relishing the oddness of this preposition, delighting in the surprising placement of this noun. Lovers don’t take a quick look, get a ‘message’ or a ‘meaning,’ and then run off and talk endlessly with their friends about how they feel.”

On the paradox of Scripture:

“We are fond of saying that the Bible has all the answers. And that is certainly correct. The text of the Bible sets us in a reality that is congruent with who we are as created beings in God’s image and what we are destined for in the purposes of Christ. But the Bible also has all the questions, many of them that we would just as soon were never asked of us, and some of which we will spend the rest of our lives doing our best to dodge. The Bible is a most comforting book; it is also a most discomforting book. Eat this book; it will be sweet as honey in your mouth; but it will also be bitter to your stomach. You can’t reduce this book to what you can handle; you can’t domesticate this book to what you are comfortable with. You can’t make it your toy poodle, trained to respond to your commands.”

From lectio divina, to background information regarding the formation of the canon—this book is one of the better introductions for the all-too-often-ignored task of reading the Bible. Or...as Peterson would say, the task of allowing Scripture to read me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got quite a lengthy car ride coming up this weekend (yay!!)... may I perhaps borrow this book from you? It sounds like something I'd get a lot from.

Anonymous said...

I was gonna ask - where did you get it? Maybe Em & I can share our "Meal" (but the snacks are mine baby! ha!)

Thanks for a great post Josh - you've seen my kids - (especially running thru the foyer on 3rd service which is why you see me making faces on PT!) - anyway, I don't get much time to sit & read. But this one sounds like the one to make the time for..

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Good stuff. I can remember my frustration with Bible classes back in the old days where someone would read a question from the Gospel Advocate Quarterly and then go around the auditorium asking "What do you think that means?" or "what does that mean to you?"

Today, small groups will take a peek at a verse and run around making it relevant to themselves and their feelings at the moment rather than seeing what God said and letting His words sink in. I know I've been guilty of that countless times.

I'll have to read the book.

Josh Graves said...

Emily,

I'm still using this book for my Intro to Xst. class...but when it's done.

Lynda: I think you'd enjoy this book very much.

PMiddy--you'd like Peterson because he's for the "common man." He has the right to be an academic elitist, but refuses knowing that Scripture was told and written for everyone.

Naomi said...

I just read and wrote a book review on this book for Wray. I definitely agree; it's pretty great.