29 October 2007

Baseball, Adventure, and the Titanic

Three thoughts from the World Series. First, Boston won five of the first fifteen World Series at the onset of Major League Baseball. In the last eighty-nine years (or thereabouts) they’ve won a grand total of two. Second, from 2004 until present day, the losing team in the World Series has won a grand total of 1 game. The Red Sox swept the Cardinals in 2004. TheWhite Sox swept the Astros in 2005. The Cardinals won in five against the Tigers, and the Rex Sox swept the Rockies in 2007. That’s an amazing statistic. Last, why do we still call it a world championship, when a MLB, NBA, or NFL team wins their American championship? Is it truly a world championship?

-----------------------------------
I viewed the film, Into the Wild, on Friday night. It’s an amazing film. It is a bit slow in parts but the story line is excellent. I wish I would’ve read the book first because the book is always, always, always, better than the movie (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Cold Mountain, Band of Brothers—just to name a few). My favorite line from the film, "I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau, 'Trust, forgiveness, passion, beauty, justice, reason are wonderful. I desire truth.'" That's my paraphrase.

---------------------------------

I remembered a sad but true story this weekend from my marathon training of two years ago. I was running in THE CRIM, a big race in the Flint area in prep for the 26.2 miles I was about to endure less than two months later. Upon the last major stretch of the ten mile race, I stumbled (not literally) upon a sad metaphor which captures the state of some of our American churches.

After several churches passed out water, food, gel boosters, etc, I came upon a church that decided during a grueling race that they would contribute to the running experience by blessing the runners with a barrage of hymns.

That’s right. No water, Gatorade, granola bar, or slice of an orange—this church brought “God is So Good” and “The Lord Bless You and Keep You.”

While others were meeting the needs, they brought hymns to the party.

I suppose that’s not completely bad for music is powerful. I simply wonder if that’s not a scary parallel to the way some churches still function. While divorce, H.I.V., S.T.D’s, depression, and poverty wage war, some stand on the top deck of the Titanic blessing each other with hymns.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the church could not afford to give the runners anything? They were there and singing, giving God glory.

There's nothing that says the very church that was there hasn't done free counseling for people with STD's.

More than ever(especially in poor areas),churches do not have the budget to have a truckload of water etc.

Avoid the halo effect, Josh.

Josh Graves said...

It's a metaphor. Work with me here.

If you don't think the church in America/West needs re-tooling, that's your opinion.

The numbers from Europe and major urban areas in the US suggest otherwise.

I know this specific church. It isn't a poor church.

Anonymous said...

Fair enough, Josh. Just wanted to make a simple point. The church could do some things away from the public eye we don't know about. That's all I am trying to say.

The church is messed up big time, although you and I would see different problems and have different ideas as to how to fix it. Both of us would be valid to some extent.

Even though I didn't agree with everything in the book, UnChristian is an interesting read. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/unChristian-Generation-Really-Christianity-Matters/dp/0801013003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0228065-3785762?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193692442&sr=8-1

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I read your comment because I knew who you were talking about!
I was just talking to someone about that recently, though my conversation went more like, if I was X number of miles into a race, I am not sure I want to hear ANYTHING. I have heard very good responses from people being uplift by the singing. I also did not realize that there were other churches offering other things.

I heard good things about the UnChristian book, sounds like a similar focus to They Like Jesus but not the Church by Dan Kimbal

David, you might not have seen it, but I posted on Josh's confessions post from a few days ago, and I posted a question for you.

Anonymous said...

It's the world series becuase it's the best league in the world...Dice K pitched in Japan's version of the world series and he pitched something like 265 pitches...he pitches in this world series and he's lucky to get out of the 5th.

If someone would have been singing when I was 10 miles into a race and was not even halway done...I would have flew them the bird...

Josh Graves said...

Anonymous:

I'm not sure offering the universal "number one" sign is the right answer, but it is your race.

Peace.

JG

Anonymous said...

I think it is proper to say Flown not Flew, but I could be wrong...If nothing else, Flipped is correct.

Josh Graves said...

Good point Kyle. Way to watch the grammar on this blog. Ha.

We won't be hearing from Mr. Anonymous for a while. He only comes in once a week.

Josh Graves said...

David,

What's UnChristian about...I know I can click on the link...fill me in.

Anonymous said...

They have their own channel on Youtube with interviews. But that would require additional clicks.

Dana M. said...

I just got this book when I was in ATL a few weeks ago. It's a Barna Group study on how the "unchurched" view Christians and churches. The overwhelming research shows that most think Christians are too hypocritical, too judgmental and too political.

I haven't read all of it yet, but it's very compelling.