03 October 2007

Motown Healing Service

Last night, I attended a healing service at a local church. I went with a friend whom I deeply respect. He’s on a journey right now; a journey that, as his pastor and friend, begs my participation.

So, we jumped in his car and drove to the gathering of 50 plus Christians in suburban Detroit.

I’ve been to several other healing services before. Pentecostal. Catholic. Evangelical. I’ve seen it all. At least “all” in the American context. Some of the experiences were profound and powerful. Some were downright depressing and sinister.

Back to last night.

We walked into the church building around 7:00 p.m. The room was already full. The “healing pastor” (a position my church does not currently have) gave testimonies about tinnitus being healed, carpal tunnel syndrome quieted, autism defeated. In no way was this minister trying to bring honor or glory to himself. He was genuinely interested in asking a dangerous question, “How is God working in the world today?” People offered real stories of deliverance.

The pastor of healing taught us that God heals people in four ways. First, God heals through the Word (Scripture). God heals through anointing. God heals through word of knowledge (prophetic gifts). And last, God heals through prayer.

The funniest moment of the night came when the healing pastor asked if anyone in the room had emphysema. One man raised his hand in violent affirmation.

“I have emphysema.”

“How long have you had emphysema,” asked the healing pastor?

“I’ve had emphysema my whole life.”

At this point, I'm thinking, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it impossible to have emphysema one’s entire life?

Regardless, the entire room prayed for this man whose lungs were full of disease. I held both hands out in faith. “God, heal our brother.”

I don’t know if I believe that God works the same as the healing pastor believes . I’ve buried enough friends in my young life to know that some people don’t get healed; some get worse.

I believe that God works in powerful ways. I believe he sometimes chooses to heal people. I also know that God does not honor every request. One thing I know for certain…God is not a cosmic vending machine granting our every wish.

Nonetheless, I’m grateful there are church’s which challenge my practical atheism.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garbage...all garbage

Josh Graves said...

You know, quite frankly, what's garbage.

People who post anonymously.

That's weak.

Anonymous said...

Amen on anonymous critics. I really can't hear a word they're saying...can you?

A friend told me of a COC that had a healing service where sick people were prayed for by the entire church ... hands on by the elders ... one at a time ... and I would like to participate in a time of prayer like this. No claims have to be made except that we are all willing to accecpt God's will ... whatever the answer. That does not relieve us of the privilege of expressing our hearts. Actually I pray almost every day for the miraculous total healing of one of our members. It's not up to me to make it happen ... only to be a 'persistent widow' in His house of prayer.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with healing and the laying of hands of someone who is sick or needs some form of restoration. It's completely Biblical. The only thing that makes it un-Biblical is when some pastor believes that THEY are responsible for it. We are to be patient and persevering in our prayer. God chooses to heal someone on his own time, and he won't grant every request. I totally agree with everything you said in this post.

Our church prays for people corporately before they leave on mission trips. We are not afraid to lay hands on that person to pray.

Anonymous said...

Josh: I don't know you except from your blogs and an occasional comment from my sister (who is just getting to know you herself) but I am very impressed with your openness to new experiences, different people, and stretching of your own faith. I might have been curious enough to give and go to a service like you described but I don't know that I would have been as receptive as you were due to my own skepticism.

What you describe as occuring I would have been okay with but I might have missed that in person. Thanks for sharing this story and your reservations and participation.

Renee

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah...I thought you might like this site! I am sure a crusade is coming in the near future...let us know how it goes!
http://www.bennyhinn.org/default.cfm

Stratoz said...

I believe in healing powers. I recently read a passage describing how God creates us anew during each moment. I thought that this is how miracles can happen. I also found it a call to be present in each moment to appreciate the gift.

Josh Graves said...

I appreciate all the comments. Some more than others :)

David: I'm glad we are in agreement. I'm cherishing this moment.

John: Thanks for the back-up and connecting this discussion to prayer.

Bike-girl: The opposite of faith is not doubt, it is certainty. I'm learning more and more that faith and doubt must dance in concert with each other. Keep wrestling with Jesus.

Wayne:I love the idea of God creating us anew each moment. I often pray "thanks for creating me new, and ressurecting me from my slumber" during morning prayers. You've given me more to consider.

Josh Graves said...

Anonymous.

Benny Hinn is much different than what I'm discussing in this post. Maybe I'll have the chance to discuss the differences, in my estimation, with you at some point.

Until then. Keep bosting anonymously. We're all in deep awe of your mysterious identity :)

Anonymous said...

I've been doing some thinking... first I was out of line here. I apologize for my comments. I have had a hard life and I tend to let that show through my words. I have no friends, no one seems to care about me. However in these blogs I can be someone else, I guess I like the attention I can get. Why not put my name...good question. Just not ready. Josh I do respect you, I just have some monsters from my past that I can't get over. Maybe I'll start a blog...

Any way, I am sorry. I hope you have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

I am the only person who is anonymous on this blog..quit signing anonymous.

From,
Anonymous

Vanessa said...

I think you have a fan club here. Way to go! My dad loves to imitate Benny Hinn with Elijah and act like he's healing him and then push him down. Cracks Eli up every time. Anyway, Clint went to a healer here in Dallas or close by. He was quite reluctant to try it, but studied a lot and felt that he shouldn't doubt God. Apparently it was a really great experience. It's tough to have an informed discussion on these services if you have no experience.

PS Pictures would have really helped me understand the situation SO much better :)

Anonymous said...

Josh - Your creating quite a stir here with this blog. Thanks for all your posts and for allowing me to continue to be a part of your walk. I read your blog daily and look for all the new updates you post. I too love that you continue to look for God in all places. I am in Missouri now and not as close to church musings as I once was, your blog keeps me thinking. Some of the responses you receive are the reasons why people stay away from the church. I am grateful you are my friend and that you put your thoughts out there and allow for the criticism to follow. Most people are not strong enough to do this. The Rochester community, Rochester College and the Rochester Church are so fortunate to have you involved so passionately with them. Keep posting and keep us thinking. Surely God is still working today and who are we to say what can or can’t be done....

George

Josh Graves said...

Vanessa: You are correct, I need some Benny action shots. I will do so in the future.

The thought of BAP healing Elijah is hilarious...

George! Great to hear from you. I appreciate your note. I ate lunch with Thrift in the cafeteria recently (with Dave Hutson) and we told some great stories.

I miss you a lot brother. I know you'll be successful in this new chapter of your life.

So many great memories....

I will post the Rod Parsley story on the blog soon. Remember when he came into our locker room and Benny's response. Classic. Absolutely classic.

Josh Graves said...

"Anonymous's"

I'm not sure what's going on here. It appears we have to people posting under the guise of "anonymous"--hmmmm.

I appreciate open and honest dialog. Communication that mean-spirited or trite (even if you're right) does little good in my estimation.

Blogging is one form of expression and one avenue to exchange ideas. Keep sharing.