08 August 2008

Thin Spaces

This week has been full of "thin spaces"--the place where God and humanity intersect (see Celtic spirituality for more on that phrase).

1. Kara and I spent a few evenings together, hanging out, playing scrabble, reading books, and enjoying the sudden hilarious joke or one-liner (of which she has no equal).

2. Earlier in the week, I ate lunch with some good friends in Royal Oak. None of these friends would consider themselves Christian, yet, they are deeply spiritual people (c.f. they value honesty, friendship, transcendence, and love). We talked for two hours about the existence of God, Jesus, Christianity in relationship to world religions, politics, and an upcoming wedding. I worked hard to "represent" a robust Christianity--whether or not I was effective . . . I have no idea. One of these friends is a successful musician. His band is playing with Dave Matthews Band all summer. During the conversation I asked myself, "what kind of church/gospel/Jesus would it take for this friend to catch a vivid glimpse of God?" I'm still wrestling with that question . . .

3. Kara and I watched Larry King's interview (I absolutely love Larry King, btw) with Steven Curtis Chapman and his family. That was an incredible conversation. The depth and honesty exhibited by the entire family was a great representation of the power of family.

4. Last but not least. We're getting ready for a little "get-away" before the semester starts at Rochester College. Today, I get to swing by B and N, and pick up some new novels.

1 comment:

phil said...

I know you mentioned before that you really enjoyed "The Kite Runner" if you are picking up some novels, give "A Thousand Splinded Suns" a try as well.