18 August 2008

Monday Reflections

Our vacation in Florida with Josh and Kayci was great . . . exactly what we needed. We are now ready for grad school/doctoral work (Kara at OU, me with Columbia), work, and everything else on the horizon. I'm sure Kara will continue to post great pictures.

I made a little list to remember this vacation/sabbath (a "by the number" if you will) :

(7) Olympic viewing sessions
(6) Snickers Ice Cream Bars
(5) Beach Bullpen sessions (I was Papplebon, Josh was Rodriguez from the Angels)
(4) Body Surfing expeditions with Kara (I'm sore today, do you feel sorry for me?)
(3) Good movies (Dark Night being one of them)
(2) Mini-golf competitions (I'm undefeated)
(2) Great books (Thousand Splendid Suns, Year of Magical Thinking)
(1) Best friend
(0) Regrets

= Sabbath Rest for the busy fall ahead!

---

I'm preparing to teach a new course for Rochester College this semester--Issues in Culture and Evangelism. Instead of doing a lecture-only experience, this course will be a discussion-centered course with heavy reading and dialog. For the course, they will read: The Shaping of Things to Come, Father Joe, Blue Like Jazz, A New Kind of Christian, and The Shack.

I'm sure there will be a great deal of great ideas and reflection coming out of this course. Let's just hope these students are ready to read.

5 comments:

David said...

Hope you had a great vacation, Josh. Florida would be a little too hot for me.

How about the next time you have that class, you throw in Ryan Dobson's "Be Intolerant"? That would present several diverse views of today's culture altogether. :)

preacherman said...

Great Monday Relfections.
I think this is great.
Keep up the great work you do Josh with your blog.
I want you to know that you, your family and ministry is in my prayers daily.
I pray God's richest blessings over your life this week.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
Aka,
Preacherman

Josh Graves said...

David,

Thanks for the note. I do not know of the book you mention, but I'll look it up online.

Actually, these five book represent a fairly diverse understanding of the meaning and practice of "evangelism." I'm guessing you are suggesting that I throw in a more conservative view of evangelical faith? That's fair enough and a good point.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JG

Josh Graves said...

Kinney,

You truly have the gift of encouragement . . . thanks for the note.

Have a great week.

Peace.

JG

phil said...

Josh,

Glad to hear you enjoyed "Thousand Splendid Suns;" I am almost done with the Parker Palmer’s book you recommended; "The Courage to Teach." He certainly has a way of igniting that passion inside, which often becomes extinguished due to chaotic schedules, and the pressures to succeed.

I plan on being at the seminar at Lipscomb in October, so I will try and read the book on King beforehand. May God bless your ministry and both you and Kara’s next journey in furthering your education.