29 August 2008

Lipscomb and Nashvegas

Thursday night, I had the honor (and scary proposition) of speaking at the opening graduate chapel for the students in the (ol' alma mater) Hazelip School of Theology. It's an exciting time around Lipscomb, there are so many things a changin'. The faculty is as good as any other faculty in Churches of Christ. I would highly suggest anyone considering going back to do graduate work in theology or ministry . . . do your homework and see what Mark Black, Terry Briley, John York, Philip Camp, John Mark Hicks, Lee Camp, George Goldman, David Fleer, Earl Lavender and company are dreaming for the future of theological training.

Lee gave a charge to all of the students near the end of our time of worship. It was brilliant. I'm going to try and get my hands on it soon.

---

This morning, I hung out with Doug Sanders. I thought I had a heart for the city. Doug took me from housing projects to shelters to a meeting regarding the incredible work being done by ROCKETOWN (Michael W. Smith's brainchild). I met several men and women who've given their life to working with people who lack a voice in mainstream culture. I could not believe how many of the workers, directors, and homeless people knew Doug by first name . . . the second he got out of his car, "Doug . . . what's up brother?"

Doug is going to help me with the leadership track (Th/Fri) for the upcoming ZOE Conference Nashville. If you haven't signed up for ZOE Nashville . . . the clock's ticking.

No comments: