19 August 2008

The Perfect Time of Year

Today marks the beginning of a new college semester. I love this time of year. Students are back on campus at RC, energy is ever-increasing. RC is under new leadership this year; Rubel Shelly is serving as President. Though we became close in a different context (I interned at Woodmont Hills his final year), I have enjoyed watching the creativity, excellence and life he's already brought to campus.

Rubel's a fantastic thinker, writer, teacher, and minister (I tell people he gets more done by 9am than I do in an entire day). More than anyone I know, Rubel is a pure leader. He has that rare ability to draw people into his vision and convictions and I'm confident that his tenure (however long or short) will be a tremendous blessing for RC. The dozens of men and women who serve as faculty and staff at RC deserve to have such a leader at this critical juncture in the life of the school.

I'm constantly challenged to rethink my own vocation in light of his influence. There are certain things (the "it" factor) you can't buy or get with a degree . . . Rubel has that "thing."
----

Rochester College is hosting an evening with Elie Wiesel (one of the most important voices of the twentieth century in my humble opinion) Thursday night at our church. I read Messengers of God last year and now consider it my "go to Torah supplement"--I can't wait to sit up close as he challenges our community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It might be the perfect time of year for you - but for those of us dropping our child off for the first time at college, it was a bit tramatic. An opportunity to grow and let go, but much harder than I had anticipated, even though it is so close to home!