01 August 2008

Changing My Mind

The sign of maturity is the ability for one to admit that he/she might be wrong about certain elements of life. Here's a brief list of things "I've changed my mind on."

Sprite has been replaced by Dr. Pepper (though I'm considering going back).

A marathon is not as fun as a triathlon.

I now enjoy (watching and playing) baseball much more than football.

I prefer liturgy, prayers, and scripture reading to more emotional expressions of worship.

I used to think that leasing a car was foolish . . . but we currently lease one!

Other things I now believe . . .

Mondays are as spiritual as Sundays.

Softball is a legit sport.

Snickers Ice Cream Bars are better than Cookies N Cream.

Chick Flick's can be redemptive.

Rifle is easier to shoot than a handgun.

Knowing God intellectually isn't as important as knowing God relationally.

Formerly I was convinced that a marriage's most important element was "chemistry"--now I believe it is commitment, and the community in which you invest yourself.

Regular t-shirts have replaced the "tank-top" t-shirt.

Cooking on the grill is as satisfactory as going out to eat.

(Some) Churches of Christ have a great chance to thrive in the postmodern world.

Classical music is more stimulating than rock/rap.

Having a college degree is not as important as being a person who knows "how" to think and not "what to think."

Taking the Lord's Supper every week is vital to my spiritual walk.


Sedans are just cool as a truck.

Mowing the yard can be a spiritual discipline (so can eating).

Books are better than movies.

Current T.V. programs are superior (plot, character) than most films.

A.L is better than N.L. in MLB.

Laughter is the best medicine (not serious dialog).

New York is the best city in the United States (NOT L.A.).

Becoming a good writer is one of the hardest things to do in life.

I respect people who, throughout their life, have the courage and ability to change their mind on the little things, as well as the big things (religion, politics, relationships).

What have you changed your mind on?

6 comments:

phil said...

I have learned to unpack my suitcase of Christianity on a daily basis, rather than keeping everything packed up until I have arrived at my final destination.

Anonymous said...

i've learned there is always someone who will think their way is more spiritual.

i've learned that if i'm ever that person i need to walk away and chittychat with Jesus.

i've learned there are always two sides to every coin and i need to be willing to hear both or comment on neither.

i've learned that truly serving those in the kingdom means being willing to serve ANYONE in the kingdom.

and i've learned that there are some people who will always be in crisis... and i am not their savior- Christ is.

Barecycles said...

Things I've changed my mind on:

Grandkids - they really are wonderful!

My dad - He really was the smartest man I ever knew.

People who hold reading material at arms length do not look as funny as I originally thought.

People under 30 years of age cannot be trusted (and that figure is getting larger all the time.

Milton Bradley is not such a bad guy after all (until the Rangers trade him of course).

Psalms - They really can stir your soul.

Most of America has become a nation of self-worship.

You don't have to ride a Harley to be cool (metric bikes can be just as cool, and easier on the wallet).

and finally...Jesus was right, doing something for the "least of these" really allows me to do something for Him.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you rank baseball above football. What about watching baseball vs. basketball?

preacherman said...

I have changed me mind on countless things especially over the last year and half. I change my mind on church and how big the grace of God really is. I changed my mind on the Holy Spirit and what it does in our lives today after I had a penecostal Christian lay his hands on me and annoint me with the Holy Spirit. God is bigger than we can comprehend or imagine.
I keep changing my mind as my faith grows in the grace and knowledge of God.

Courtney Strahan said...

a little late, but here are 10 things i've changed my mind on:

1. blue ink pens ARE just as good as black ink pens.

2. getting up early actually is enjoyable.

3. nike really is better for most footwear.

4. a capella worship is now, more often than not, more powerful than having a full band.

5. little caesars crazy bread IS a sufficient lunch option.

6. slippers ARE cool.

7. talking on the phone IS enjoyable.

8. the scent of hand soap does matter.

9. dogs are better than cats.

10. there is no shame in calling in sick even when you're not.