20 August 2008

Laughter

Every couple has to figure out how to work through difficult times and disagreements. Kara and I are very open that we sometimes clash due to our unusually stubborn personalities. Seriously, we are not afraid of conflict with each other, and we will challenge each other whenever we see fit.

Having said that . . . it's important, in my estimation, to develop a bond that transcends likes/dislikes/hobbies/gifts. On paper, Kara and I don't have a lot in common (other than the fact that we check "white" on most forms or surveys). We've learned to do new things together (we both enjoyed dance class, and love going to Tigers baseball games) . . .but we're still very different people.

Over the last few years, we've begun to discover what holds us together: we've learned to laugh together. That might sound trite, and it might not hold up under intense theological inquiry but I think it's actually pretty healthy.

Whether it's a quick one-liner (like the time Kara responded, "Don't look in the mirror" when I complained about getting older), or the regular "scare tactic" (recently Kara placed a horrible, ugly mask in the kitchen cupboard right before she asked me, rather innocently, to get her a glass of water). We've learned to laugh at each other . . . more importantly . . . we're learning to laugh at ourselves.

Laughter has been the tangible expression of grace in our marriage.

3 comments:

phil said...

"With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."

-Abraham Lincoln

preacherman said...

Wonderful post on this topic.
Josh I hope you have you a great week brother!

Courtney Strahan said...

Haha, I am glad that my "horrible, ugly mask" brought so much enjoyment to you two.