18 June 2008

Mid-Week Ramblings

I never like to be away from home (read: Kara) for more than a few days . . . however . . .

My time in Atlanta at Columbia Theological Seminary has been wonderful. I'm in a class right now with pastors/thinkers from all over the United States (California, New Jersey, North Dakota, Alabama, Georgia, Florida) and the entire world (Taiwan, South Africa, and Korea).

We cover every denomination in Protestant faith: Churches of Christ, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Pentecostal, etc. We're realizing that as different as we are (and we are different!) our struggle is the same because all of us are trying to do ministry/think theologically in (mostly) the same stream: North America.

I just learned that my next course is slated to be with Walter Brueggemann, the Michael Jordan of Old Testament studies over the last thirty years.

---

Some sports side notes:

*I can't believe the Lakers laid that size of an egg. Wow. I'm stunned.

*Marcus Thames, as Kara will attest, is a great player to root for. He's humble, likable, and just shows up and puts in the work. All he's done now is tie the Tigers record for consecutive home runs for hits.

*The trade rumor mills say Tayshaun and Chauncey for Carmello. If Denver is that dumb to do it, I think it's a great trade. Though, 'Mello and 'Sheed on the same team might be a recipe for disaster.

5 comments:

Adam Gonnerman said...

Brueggemann? Oh wow! That's great! I heard of him at Harding (HSBS) but never read any of his work until recently. I'd LOVE to have classes with him.

Anonymous said...

Only Josh could start with Brueggeman and end up with a sports analogy! Miss you, bro. I saved your girl from killer bunnies. Ask her the story...

Anonymous said...

Brueggemann? I hope he doesn't have the flu.
Have a great class and soak it up brother!

Jonathan said...

Would you guys be interested in Jason Kidd or Dampier? They have some miles left on those wheels. Especially Dampier, his best years are ahead of him. Talk to Dumars for me.

Josh Graves said...

Jonathan.

The Mavs are on their way back to where they are most comfortable: obscurity.

Ha. We're not interested in any of the players you have left. Besides Dirk. And, he's not for sale.