23 June 2008

Dancing, Chapel, War

This weekend was fantastic. First, I got to spend time with my bride and best friend--something we've needed in the midst of a busy schedule and schooling (Kara's working on her degree right now as well).

I performed the wedding of some dear friends Saturday. Kara and I (along with Ash, Kell, Sean, Brett, Erika, Dan, Katie, and several other friends) were the first ones on the dance floor.

"I didn't know preachers dance," one person commented to me as I took a break into between songs. "I'm all about breaking down stereotypes," I replied as I made my way back to the Jerry Ross band now playing Beyonce.

---

In case anyone wonders about my education at Columbia Seminary (PC-USA), I've gone to chapel more times since being here than I did in all three years of seminary at ACU and Lipscomb. I find that incredibly funny. Mind you, I don't know 3/4's of the songs, but I'm happy to learn and grown. Today our chapel was lead by ministers from Korea and Jamaica--it was powerful. We ended with this song:

Lord, your summons echoes true when you but call my name
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same
In your company I'll go
Where your love and footsteps show
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you live in me.

---

Today, I'm wearing a t-shirt that reads, "PEACE IN NORTHERN UGANDA." I'm reminding myself (and generating conversation with others), that I am privileged to be able to study and reflect critically while brothers and sisters in Uganda are still experiencing the evil and brutality of the "powers that be."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And... you're off! Once again, I applaud you for your energy level. I was complimenting you in front of the Pitman church today. Thanks for bringing a deeper love for the overlooked to Rochester than we've had before.