09 June 2008

Cold Rivers

With less than one week away from the Motor City Triathlon, my brother and I decided Saturday to test out the waters (literally) of the Detroit River in preparation for the chaos this coming weekend.

Water Temperature: 59 degrees.

Let's just say that the difference between training in a heat-controlled environment at my fancy health club versus being in the Detroit River with 20mph winds and cool temps is the difference between sitting in a seminary classroom talking about grief versus sitting across the room from a parent who has just lost a child; like watching a video on pregnancy versus actually giving birth.

I was not prepared at all for the "real conditions."

So, it got me thinking a bit about our privatized Christian bubbles and the spiritual ghetto's we sometimes create in the name of safety and fear.

The only way to be prepared for the elements of this world is to, well, be fully invested in this world.

I think I'll go make a few calls to price the cost of renting a wet-suit.

3 comments:

phil said...

I was not prepared at all for the "real conditions."

Truly, experience appears to be our greatest teacher; and it is that very truth, that makes real Christianity so hard to grasp. Because when we just hear and sing, our retention ponds remain shallow, however when we live and experience our ponds become deep rivers that can overflow into other ponds creating an invitation to come and swim. But as you swim it’s best to leave your wet-suit (Christian bubble) at home so you can really dive in and enjoy the water.
I wish you peace and strength during your race this week and also the bigger race you continually run.

Phil

Matthew said...

I grew up in Canada, had many swims like this. Now I am in TN and if it is not in the 90's it seems too cold to swim.

Courtney Strahan said...

good luck, josh! hopefully the water won't be as cold. although, i'm thinking it might actually feel nice with all this crazy, hot weather we're having.