24 January 2008

Springsteen, Herod, and One Hot Preacher's Wife

. . . That just might be my favorite blog title to date.

If you want to have a thin-space moment (the British phrase for the times and places in our lives when heaven and earth kiss), listen to these three songs on Bruce Springsteen's LIVE IN DUBLIN: When the Saints Go Marching In, This Little Light of Mine (yes, you read that correctly), and We Shall Overcome.

The third verse of When the Saints goes like this: "When the new world is revealed . . . when the new world is revealed, oh when the new world is revealed. Lord, how I want to be there on that morning . . . when that new world is revealed."

-----------------

I just finished reading Eugene Peterson's THE JESUS WAY: A CONVERSATION ON THE WAYS THAT JESUS IS THE WAY. The last three chapters are vintage Peterson: He looks at the historical/biblical characters of Herod (and his counterpart: Essenes), Caiaphas (his counterpart: the Pharisee's), and Josephus (and his counterpart: the zealot's) in light of the spirituality Jesus embodied in his hown life. This completes his trilogy on "spiritual theology"--it's a must read for anyone who's interested in following Jesus in a world as complex as ours.

-----------------

The last three months has been a great time for family, friends, local church work, reading, writing (draft one of my first book, Jesus Feast, is complete!), and Sabbath Rest. Like all seasons, that time is now coming to an end.

Writing projects are intensifying, travel increases, and new church endeavors are just on the horizon. I feel rested and ready to see what God is up to in 2008. However, things are a changin'-- the next six months is going to be a great adventure: ZOE, DETROIT MISSION WEEK, TULSA WORKSHOP, TEACHING AT RC, TWO MAJOR WRITING PROJECTS, UGANDA TRIP, and LIPSCOMB SERMON SEMINAR, DOCTORAL WORK AT COLUMBIA--it all heats up now. Too bad the state I live in can't say the same.

I'm just glad I get to share the path with the most beautiful woman in the world.




Seriously, she's a hot preacher's wife.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is hot!

Anonymous said...

Zoe... as in Zoe conference? Do they do two a year?

Josh Ross said...

I'm not going to comment on the hotness of your wife. I will say that I know what it is like to have a freak'n hot preacher's wife. My wife is not afraid to tell her friends that she is sleeping with the preacher. :)

I proposed to Kayci with the cover of the movie "The Preacher's Wife." I placed a picture of Kayci over Whitney Houston, and I placed a picture of me over Denzel. I inserted our names over their names as well.

Josh Graves said...

Boss Ross.

That's why we're bringing you up to Rochester in April. That is freakin' hilarious. I wish I would've thought of the Denzel move. Nice. Very nice.

Who knew how Whitney's life would turn out?

---

My sophomore year of college we played Central Michigan University. Before the game, the student section yelled to our point guard, "Hey John . . . your Coach is sleeping with your mom."

John Pleasant, the point guard and now head coach for Rochester High School, is the son of Garth Pleasant--Rochster College's Head Men's Basketball Coach.

True story.

Josh Graves said...

Anonymous: I asked for that one, I suppose.

Emily,

Yeah...ZOE does several events each year. They do main conferences in Nashville, Fresno, Dallas (and other places). They also do events at Pepperdine Lectures, Tulsa Workshop, etc.

I'll say it again. ZOE is one of the best things happening in Restoration Circles (Churches of Christ and Christian Church). Period.

Anonymous said...

I want to go? lol

Anonymous said...

Dude. There should be a "No Father's" warning on this one...

Anonymous said...

When is Lipscomb's Sermon Seminar? I'm sure it will be good if Fleer is involved in it. We'll have to make it out to lunch one day when you're in Nashville! Subway, August Moon, that burrito place (can't remember the name), our old M.Div. stompin grounds. I'll look forward to teaching you a thing or two about theology! =)

Josh Graves said...

PMiddy...too funny. I'll make a note next time.

Matt...it's going to be incredible. Brueggemann et al will be in the house. There should be information going out (mail, web, etc) soon.

I'll be sure to e-mail as soon as I see something.

I think it's the third week of October. We will need to get Suga Ray, N'Adam, and Gilbert down as well.

I always learn something from you...so of course, I'll be ready...as long as it's over good Mexican food.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Is Hill still the most educated youth minister in the world? If he is, then he is still missing his true calling as a stand-up comedian. Dude is supa-funny! Do you know what SugaRay is doing now? I miss our LU gang.

I still talk to Gilbert quite a bit but I've been slacking on keeping up with the rest of you. I'm making a resolution to do better with that this year.

Bradford L. Stevens said...

I always enjoy reading your blog! Especially the "Pleasant" stories. I had no idea there were so many?

And, you are truly a blessed man to have a wife who supports you in your ministry. True beauty comes from the soul. But you have hit on the theological expression of Genesis 1:23 in a somewhat contemporary message.

Josh Graves said...

Matt,

Suga Ray is in Chi-town finishing a Ph.D. Adam is in Indiana working with a church in Anderson.

I can't tell you how many times I tell different leaders of churches...if you can get Matt Deaton to leave Bowling Green...you are getting a "franchise leader." You know me well enough to know what I mean by that.

You've been a great example of what it looks like when one's life matches one's sermon.