29 January 2008

Fresno and Phil

The Fresno ZOE Conference was a great event. The College Church of Christ has become a special place of rest, friendship, and family for me these last two years.

I returned from Fresno late Sunday night (Monday morning) . . . well . . . late for me . . . 3 a.m. As I was driving from the airport home, I thought, there’s one person I can call right now that would not shoot me: my dad.

For the last twenty-plus years, my dad has worked the midnight shift at Children’s Hospital as a respiratory therapist. In fact, when I was younger, he worked two jobs—always the midnight shift.

I have many friends who lament that “my dad never made time for me” or “my dad was great with everyone except his own family.” I empathize with these people . . . but I cannot relate.

My father was always around. He was always there. Always present. Always willing to play catch, go for a jog, watch hoops, play one-on-one.

From seventh to twelfth grade he (nor my mom) never missed one sporting/church event. We played football, baseball, soccer, basketball and tennis and he was there for every single game. Of course, the post-game “Dad-nalysis” was part of the experience, but I’d gladly take that than a dad who’s out of town on business, the dad who’s on the golf-course five days a week with clients and no time for his family. My father did not spend his time thinking about his own career, education, or “dreams”—he was fully invested in developing his family.

I can honestly say my dad was one of my closest friends in High School. I was never embarrassed to have him drop me off some where. Never ashamed to hang out with him at the movies or the mall.

He used to write me little notes before big games: “You can do it.” “I believe in you.” “You the man.” Little pieces of paper I still have in a box in my basement. He’ll never know how much those little pieces of paper meant. I get emotional just thinking about our game day breakfasts at a local joint, or our pre-game meal at Subway.

Anyways . . .

I called my dad on the drive from the airport Monday morning. Sure enough, at 2:54 a.m. he answered as he always does, “Respiratory--Phil Graves.” We talked about my trip, grad school, his upcoming adventure to Alaska (he’s going to camp by himself in the wilderness for two weeks).

To all the fathers out there: You don’t know what it means when a son knows he can call you at any hour of the day, knowing that for one brief moment, the person on the other end of the phone is your biggest fan and confidant.

To all the sons out there: You don’t know what it means when a dad knows that his son loves him so much, that the person he wants to talk to when he’s going on four hours sleep is…well…his dad.

My biggest fear in life is that I won’t be half the dad my father was. I am so engrossed in my education, plans, dreams, work, vocation, and opportunities . . . I pray I will honor Phil by being the encourager and man he was/is in my life.

14 comments:

preacherman said...

Great post.
If there is one area that I want to succeed in more than anything else other than my relationship with God it is with my family. It is so important to me to be the best father I can be to my son's. I want to thank you so much for your post today. It is inspiring and very uplifting. God bless you brother.

Anonymous said...

The fact that you worry about being a good dad tells me that you will most likely be great.

Vanessa said...

Don't forget what a dope sex ed teacher he was!

Anonymous said...

I still sit in wonder as my son looks to me and says the words that cause a trembling in my heart; "I want to be like you."

It is stories of the true men who have lived God's design that allows me not to fear, because I know with God as my focus, my children will see the path to follow before them.....

Every day I thank God for the blessing of my children and ask for the ability to glorify Him in their eyes.

Thanks for sharing...

Josh Graves said...

Preacherman...you get the encouragement award. I've enjoyed reading your blog.

Emily...thanks for the vote of confidence.

Vanessa...that's the funniest comment ever posted on my blog. If only we could tell the whole story. I have to tell Kara about that tonight when she gets home. I'm laughing so hard right now.

Chaplain J...great thoughts per your children. I don't know how you do it now that I've seen the schedule you juggle. Unreal.

Josh Ross said...

Your words echo the thanks I have for my own dad. He was always there. He never missed a game. He would cancel speaking engagements (he was/is a preacher) to be at our events.
He would put a lawn chair in the back of his truck to watch our football practices.
If my parents weren't at my games 45 minutes ahead of time I would begin to worry--either something had happened on their way, or they were stuck in a Mexican food restaurant.

Funny thing, the only game I ever got carried off the field was the only game my mother ever missed. :)

Luke said...

Josh- I too have similar experiences of my parents being at all my football games, wrestling matches and track meets. It meant and continues to mean alot to me and I plan on doing the same with my kid(s). I just hope they dont play basketball. sorry, graves.

Josh Graves said...

Boss Ross: I'd love to hear the story of you being taken off the field. Were you hurt? Did you hit the winning shot?

Josh Graves said...

Luke: I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't want your kids hoopin' because NBA basketball players are the greatest athletes in the world.

And you want them to have the best chance to succeed...am I close?

Just kidding...you're from Texas, y'all play footbawl.

Josh Ross said...

Hurt! It was the 4th quarter of a football game my junior year. I was the qb and I was running around the right end. Pulled my quad...bad! Missed 2 games but was back by the playoffs.
There you go.

Anonymous said...

Great Post!

Thurman8er said...

I'm glad you made it home safely. I've never seen our worship time end with such a flurry of activity! Thanks also for the words of advice and encouragement. I've made some real progress this week in figuring a course of action.

My dad was much the same as yours. I remember coming home from a high school field trip and calling him to come pick me up. My friend on the phone next to me asked me who I was calling and was surprised to hear it was my dad. When I asked him why he was surprised, he told me that I had been calling him "pal." Of course I was. That's what I called him!

Luke said...

Graves-
First of all- I went to HS in Ohio.

Second- "Basketball is what girls play during men's wrestling season."

But if my son/daughter gets a full ride I will quickly forget that.

Josh Graves said...

Luke,

You are a Buck-eye? Oh no.