31 January 2008

Kwame's Confession

The Mayor of Detroit, Kwame Kilpatrick, made a public confession last night for all of Detroit to experience. Below is an excerpt from the transcript. What do you make of it? To read the entire transcript go to FREEP.COM. I took out Carlita's (Kwame's wife) comments.

--------------------------


KWAME KILPATRICK: Good evening, Detroit. I want to start tonight by saying to the citizens of this great city, I'm sorry.


To all of you who have believed in what we've been doing here since 2002, to all of you who have believed in me, in my leadership, to all of you who have stuck with me through very difficult times, to all of you who prayed for me: I'm sorry.

For the embarrassment and the disappointment the events of the past few days have caused you, for what you as my supporters, many of you, have had to hear as you traveled around our city to beauty shops and barbershops, what you had to hear when you were in church this past Sunday from people who know that you have supported me.

For those of you who have not always been Kwame Kilpatrick supporters, but who lift up our city, who live in our city, who support this town in various ways, I truly apologize to each and every one of you individually and to the whole city.

Most of all tonight, I want to make a public apology to my entire family, and specifically to the four people who I love the most in this world.

First, I want to apologize to my sons, Jelani, Jalil and Jonas. For the first time in my life, I had to have a conversation with my 12-year-old twin sons about very grown-up things. It was, without a doubt, the hardest conversation that I've ever had in my entire life.

Finally, and most importantly, I want to make a public apology to my wife, Carlita, who I fell in love with when I was 19 years old. We decided to build a family together, and we did that.

Our marriage has not been perfect, but it has been great. Now, I put her in a situation which many couples deal with in the privacy of their own homes, but in our case, it's on the front page of the newspaper. This dynamic, strong, caring woman has been forced to go through this very difficult experience because of me. I truly apologize to you.

As many of you know, I'm not the type of person who displays my emotions in public, but I have to tell you I've felt more emotion in the last week than I have in the past 20 years. I've been truly hurting. I've been hurting because I know that many of you are hurting. And most of all, I've been hurting because I know my family is hurting. And I'm responsible for that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a comment on it....

http://chapel-michigan.blogspot.com/2008/01/if-it-was-you-what-would-you-expect-my.html

Josh Graves said...

Jim,

I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

But should he have gone further and announced his resignation? I believe in redemption, but instant reconciliation and instant redemption looks a bit like cheap grace. I don't want to see him crucified, but I want Detroit to have a fighting chance of coming back and Kwame has proven he just isn't up to it.

Josh Graves said...

Patrick:

I agree. That's what I struggle with. There is a difference between forgiveness and consequences.

Good call.

Anonymous said...

Resignation seems appropriate but unlikely. I think that perusing purgery charges is also very appropriate.
When I heard the apology, I thought can I believe you? and that has been the thought I have wrestled with. You lied under Oath. The truth was not important to you then, how do I know it is important to you now.
It is not an issue of if I forgive or not, but can I trust or not. (Maybe they are supposed to be one in the same but they seem different to me)
I guess that falls under the consequences category...lose you job, lose the trust of others.

What would Michael Scott say...

Anonymous said...

Personally, I believe this country has many problems because we dont uphold the law.

Kwame commits "purjury", which last I checked was against the law, and what does most people want to discuss.. is this a public matter or a private matter for his family.

Adam Miller

All of our presidential candidates are discussing what rights and treatment is good for illegal aliens. Did they miss the important word there, ILLEGAL. Just uphold the law that is in place, along with the penalties.

Thats my 2 cents, have a good one.

Josh Graves said...

Kyle.

That's a million dollar question.

"A boss is like a teacher. And I am like the cool teacher. Like Mr. Handel. Mr. Handel would hang out with us, and he would tell us awesome jokes . . . and he actually hooked up with one of the students. Um, and then like twelve other kids came forward. It was in the papers. Really ruined eighth grade for us."

--Michael Scott

That's what Kwame's done . . . he's ruined eighth grade.