24 November 2007

Lazy Saturday

This is a great time of year to live in Michigan. The fall/winter is upon us, and though the sun will disappear for a few months, it is a time to catch up with old friends for life's pace seems to lessen.

We are here, to borrow from Annie Dillard, "as witnesses," nothing more, nothing less.

Today, I watched my alma mater battle the University of Detroit in basketball. RC gave them a good game but came up short down the stretch. I watched the game with my brother and a few former teammates. Conversation and stories hold friendships together. If God never gives me another blessing, I have been overwhelmed with the amount of genuine friendships in my lifetime; relationships that shape and sustain.

As 2007 starts to come to a close, I am anxious to see what 2008 has in store; namely what God will be up to this go-around.

2007 had its interesting trips. Denver, Fresno, Lubbock, NYC, Tulsa, Malibu/L.A., Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville (twice), and Abilene were all on my destination list this year.

I also learned that my wife loves two things about Detroit: the homeless community and Detroit Tigers baseball. BTW—yesterday is the one year anniversary of Professor Jack’s death. To read about Jack, click here.

Kara and I also made new bonds, reconnected with friends of old, and said good-bye to others: some because of job loss, and relocation. At least two friends were lost to death.

If age 0-25 marks the spring season…
If age 25-50 marks the summer…
If age 50-69 marks the fall…
And, if age 70 marks the winter…

I’m going to enjoy this “summer season,” for even though I know the thermometer reads 30 degrees in Detroit, this is a great time to be alive.

I think it was Irenaeus who once wrote, “The glory of God is a person made fully alive.”

6 comments:

Stratoz said...

If Irenaeus didn't, no matter, I have heard this and love that a relationship with God makes one fully alive. what greater desire can we have?

Bradford L. Stevens said...

While I see Detroit beat Kent State, I am proud to report that Saint Louis University whooped them. But, for Rochester College to take on a Division 1 NCAA team, had to be David and Goliath event! Kudos to Coach Garth Pleasant for the fine showing Rochester College put forth in that outing. No wonder Rochester College turns out fine young men like you!

And, by the way if your interested in some fine football these days, check out the University of Missouri Tigers!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can't believe it's been a year since Professor Jack.

I wonder if he ever could have known the lives he would change with his story even after his death.

Kara Graves said...

Brad---The Graves household is a huge WVU fan....so when we think of fine football, we just think of our 'Eers!

:)

Courtney Strahan said...

RIP, Jack.

Josh Graves said...

Wayne...good thoughts.

Brad...great to hear from you...and thanks for the note. I hope you are well.

Kara...you have converted me to at least being interested in WVU.

Emily and Courtney. I may have been off one week on Jack's death. I'm investigating that right now.