20 February 2009

Toilets

Jesus is found in the little things.

I really believe that. Do you?

---

Ever since I can remember, I've been the toilet-cleaner. I'm not speaking in metaphoric terms here (as I'm often prone to do), I'm being as literal as one can be. I remember cleaning toilets as part of my weekly chores growing up in the Graves household. In addition, I also was responsible for the dreaded taking-out-of-the-trash. Compared to scraping the remains of my family's dinner from the bottom of the porcelain throne (as it was called in my circles of friends in high school), taking out the trash was picking daisies.

It is hard to take yourself too seriously when you clean toilets. It gives you a sense that we are all, as Genesis gently reminds us, created from dust and to that dust we will all return. We are created, finite, beings. Complex? Of course. But temporary. At least for now.

I ate breakfast with a respected friend recently when he started telling me how he now cleans the toilets where he works. Every week, he loads up his three children, and for nearly three hours, they vacuum, wash, scrub and . . . miracle of miracles . . . they clean toilets. One little detail I've left out--this friend is the Vice President of this company, on his way to being President in a few short years.

Since Kara and I have been married it's my job to clean toilets. Now to be fair, I probably don't do as much "around the house" (a Midwestern expression) as I should. Kara pays the bills, organizes meals, cleans, monitors the social calendar (did I mention she's pregnant and a full-time grad student?), etc. But the responsibilities of cleaning toilets are set aside for moi.

Barbara Brown Taylor says, in An Altar in the World, that God erects altars all over the world. Spirituality is asking God to give us the eyes to see these holy intersection. In his day, Jesus told his disciples that they couldn't really be his apprentices until they learned to clean toilets. Actually, he said they had to learn to wash feet--one of the most degrading and disgusting acts in the first century.

If we were speaking to us today, I think Jesus would make us clean each other toilets. Seriously. When we moved into our first house, the one we currently live in, our friends, the Barton's (John, Sara, Nate and Brynn) were some of the first to arrive to help us move in. True to their character (they lived in East Africa for several years prior to coming to Rochester), their very first act was to clean both of our bathrooms and replace our toilet seats. Top to bottom. Cleaned to the last detail. Including the toilet.

I've been known tease John Barton (twice my boss: V.P. at RC and elder at Rochester Church) that I think of him every time I'm in my bathroom and . . . well . . . , I'll stop there.

Jesus said that his movement was about towels not titles. I'd like to think that we need to bring people to the same teaching. Jesus' movement is not about titles . . . it's about toilets.

I'm sure marketing guru's all over the world are salivating.

6 comments:

Jonathan Storment said...

Great post Josh, I'd love to see the visuals that you could use for a teaching on this. Thanks for the reminder of how life really should be.

Josh Graves said...

My friend Phillip wrote this:

Josh,

I saw your post on cleaning toilets. I too am the designated toilet-cleaner at our house. Amy will do it if I'm not around, but it is usually my job. Even when I was studying for comps in my doctoral program, Amy decided I could take a few minutes from studying to clean the bathroom.

It all started when I worked as a stockman (then code for janitor) at Wal-Mart. Cleaning the bathrooms was my job as lowest man on the totem pole. When I went to work in a facotry warehouse later, we had to clean up on Friday. As lowest man, I was again told to clean the bathroom. Having all that WalMart training, I did a good job. So it remained my job even after others were hired.

As for now, it is one thing to do it at your own house or to be paid to do it. It's entirely another when there is no clear benefit. I marvelled at a college student we took on the Spring Break mission trip to Richmond. We were going to clean up and fix up a couple of rooms in the home of an elderly woman who had adopted a little girl. The house was nasty because she was not capable of cleaning it well and her children and others used her and the house without pitching in for its maintainence. Anyway, the bathroom was horrible (stained walls and floors, stained shower, roach droppings and live roaches). It was not part of what we planned to do, so we joked about who would have to clean it. This young man said, "I'll do it. I wouldn't want to have to use one like that." Amazing! Miraculous!

Have a good weekend.
Phillip

Josh Graves said...

Jonathan: I can just see it now . . a four week series at Richland Hills or Rochester with a toilet in the middle of the stage. Seriously. It has great potential.

Phillip: Do you have any extra toilets lying around?

Your story about the college student is great. I'm filing that one away. Again, I don't do as much as I should around the house, but I'm committed to toilet-work.

JG

phil said...

Josh,
Great post; truthfully, when I began reading I wasn’t sure where this post was going to end up… I thought maybe it was heading towards you seeing the face of Christ in the toilet while you were cleaning it …Glad I was wrong.
I do wonder if this might add another layer to door-knocking evangelist?

Knock! Knock!

“Hello sir, my name is ______ and my friend and I are from ______ church and we were wondering if we could come in and clean your toilets today?”

Josh Graves said...

Phil,

My wife and I were talking about your idea on Friday. It's brilliant. I can just see the expression on people's face, "You want to do what?"

The path to missional for existing churches might be through the bathrooms of the lost. Who would've thought?

Tim Perkins said...

I can remember being on hands and knees in the Army, cleaning urinals...and turning to the G.I. next to me who was doing the same thing and saying, "Urinal lot of trouble."

Uh, you gotta say it slowly.