02 February 2009

Home

Ever since I had Walter Brueggemann as a professor this past year, I've taken seriously the power of carefully worded prayers. Of course, there are all kinds of ways to pray (some helpful some not-so-much). Here's the prayer I wrote for yesterday's gathering time at Rochester Church in preparation for experiencing Genesis 32 (Jacob's Prayer).



God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

Lord of Exile, Lord of Exodus

We plot, scheme, squirm and plan,

How we might do life without you.

We are all, at one time or another, scoundrels.

And just when we think we’ve got things under control,

Our lives break into a million little pieces.

Dreams dash. Hopes halt. Visions vanish.

And we are left standing before you,

Aware of our utter incompetence.

When we have no where else to turn and no one else to turn to,

We come to the place we should have come all along.

We come home, in prayer, with our hands open.

We come home to you.

Amen.



2 comments:

phil said...

I love the prodigal imagery of that prayer. But even more, I love to watch how He repsponds when we have the heart to pray such a prayer.

Jonathan Storment said...

Amen. I love Bruggemann's books of prayer. They help me get started praying when I don't know where to start or have words for what I am feeling. Anyway good prayer Josh.