03 February 2009

Giving It (Jesus Feast) Away

In September 2007, I was on a small plane flying from Abilene to Dallas, Texas. I had just finished teaching a class on the relationship of film and spirituality in postmodern cultures at Abilene Christian University. As we were making our way to Dallas, I started to get an idea. So, I did what I always do, I grabbed the first thing I could find. Normally, on an airplane, that means one grabs a napkin. I know of one famous basketball coach, for instance, who wrote a book called My Life On a Napkin for this same reason--ideas come at you when you least expect. Writers, storytellers, poets, movie producers all talk about the creative inspiration and its unpredictability.

I started to write out an overall plan for a book. I would not start my doctorate for several months and I thought it was a good time to really pour myself into something that was not directly related to my "church responsibilities." I know far too many ministers and professors who make church/theology their life. If you don't have things outside of your particular call to sustain you, it's easy to dry up and lose your energy. Some of us, in short, need to get a life.

Several drafts later . . . after much painful editing . . . cutting at least five chapters and almost 100 pages . . . I submitted the final draft of my first book to the publishers this past week. I wanted to tell my small group that it felt like I'd given birth to a baby and now I was being asked to give it away. But, when I thought about the fact that two women in our small group have just recently given actual birth and that Kara was only a few months away herself, I elected to go with a different metaphor.

This weekend will be the first time I get to present material from my book. I'm doing a leaders retreat for Sycamore View Church (where my close friend Josh Ross preaches) Friday and Saturday.


When we give away what is most sacred to us, we give God power to do what he wants to do. Preservation cannot give us the peace of mind it promises for giving away what is most sacred to us is the path to finding real connection with those God has placed in our midst. "The glory of God is a person come fully alive."

7 comments:

Robin said...

Blessings to you and your wife in what I'm sure is among the most exciting, exhausting, exhillirating times of your life. I'd love to read your book when it comes out. I'm among those who download the Rochester Church podcasts and I thoroughly enjoy your writing style. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but we've "shared the stage" before... sort of. A couple of years ago at the Tulsa Workshop when you and Patrick spoke, I think we (Acappella) helped Keith lead worship either that night or the night after. Either way, I've really enjoyed hearing you speak God's word and can't wait for more!
Again, blessings.

Josh Graves said...

Robin,

Thanks for the words of affirmation. Us writers are always appreciative. Ha.

I remember Tulsa, and meeting you. I get to check out your blog from time to time. Keep up the great work.

Shalom.

JG

Sara G said...

Congrats on your book. I've given birth to two children, without pain meds. and I give you permission to use the metaphor in my presence. I think it's similar.

Josh Ross said...

"Jesus Feast" has been a long time coming. It is going to bless many lives and churches.

Josh Graves said...

Sara and Josh: thanks for your tireless help in editing and helping me to say what I wanted to say without getting in the way.

The two of you were a big help.

Unknown said...

Amen! Amen!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your book!