28 January 2009

What's In a Name? Lucas . . .

Kara and I wrestled for a few months over what to name our first child (coming to a nursery near you in May, 2009). We had some basic criteria for selecting the name. Because we are having a boy, we wanted to be creative but not too creative. I'm now convinced that selecting a girl's name is far easier than choosing a name for your son. We've had a name for a girl picked out since we were engaged.

We wanted the name to be strong without sounding overbearing. We wanted the name to be clear without being trite. Paramount for me: I didn't want a name that could a) easily be turned into another name, b) rhymed with something inappropriate (I'm far too creative in this area and have years of sharing a room with a twin who, together, had the ability to rhyme just about anything), or c) conjure up images of past bullies and bad memories.

You might be wise to surmise that we were a bit analytical in this process. Hey, this is our first child. Wait 'til we start talking vaccinations.

We checked out several "name" books from our local library. We each made a list based on these books. When we compared the list, we did not have ONE single name in common. That didn't surprise us at all, however. We're learning to embrace how different God has made us.

All that to say . . . we feel really good about the name we've selected: Lucas Joshua Graves. Lucas (which has roots in Latin, Greek, English and Gaelic meaning "light") brings a strong clear name with some Biblical allusion (The Gospel of Luke, my personal favorite). Joshua because, well, what father doesn't love to have part of him on display in his son?

Having said all that, I'm convinced that the person really makes the name. But starting off on a good foot in this world is a good thing I suppose. After all, Lucas Joshua sure gives you a better chance than Herod Adolf.

11 comments:

phil said...

Now that you've got the birth name, now you have to decide what his name will be upon heeding the call of God; (you know, the whole name change thing. :)

...did I just use the word heeding?

Jonathan Storment said...

Herod Adolf, that's really nice. Lucas Joshua sounds like a great name, congrats on having a boy Josh. By the way thanks for your "objective" propaganda. Made me laugh.

Thurman8er said...

The Force will be with him, that's for sure.

I am beginning a class on Luke next week and have been reading ahead for the last month or so. I'm falling in love with Luke as well. What are YOUR reasons? Or have you written that post already?

Steve

Josh Graves said...

Phil,

Good point. I forgot about God's tendency to do just that.

Jonathan,

I'll look fwd to parenting advice from you.

Scott,

I hope the force is with him. Thanks for the Skywalker reference.

Unknown said...

I always thought Habakkuk would have been a good boy's name--sadly we only had three girls

Josh Graves said...

Hmm...two Old Testament names for one person might be too much to bear. Ha.

Robin said...

Good name. Actually, great name! I personally like some of the names I knew in high school and college: Landon Gheer, Brick and Stone Wall (twin offensive linemen who "couldn't block to save their lives!" according to my ex-roommate) and my personal favorite (for a girl) Maya Nessa (which is spelled "M-A-Y-O-N-A-I-S-E... no joke... somebody's mama named the girl Mayonaise!)

That being said, stick with Lucas Joshua. Much better than Mayonaisse.

Unknown said...

I am disappointed that Barack was not involved in the name...it is not too late!

Josh Graves said...

Robin,

Those are hilarious. Serisouly. Being named after a condiment? Wow.

Anonymous--Barack (or Hussein) was never in the running for Baby Graves. Sorry :)

JG

Josh Graves said...

KMART

I should have known.

I'm guessing your next son will be Ron Paul. :)

Ha.

Luke said...

I personally think that "Lucas" is a great name. Hopefully people from his generation will not incessantly make poor jokes about his paternal lineage.