15 January 2009

Blogging: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Part of the course I’m currently taking at Columbia Seminary has to do with the role of the church in the public sphere (community). We’ve been wrestling with Augustine (and losing, walking with a limp) for the last few days. Particularly, his notion that the love of Christ compels us to always have an open posture to the world, because, in Christ, God made himself vulnerable to us (Paul would say, “Even while we were God’s enemies, he died for us”).

The conversation today took a turn to media, film, blogging and Facebook. Because I’m the youngest student in the class, I felt I needed to weigh in on the redemptive/destructive qualities of emerging mediums.

With particular attention to blogging, I think some of us need to do some deeper reflection (NOTE: I wrote a similar blog a while back).

Blogging is a good thing.

1. We develop an “online” or “virtual” community with people from all over the world.

2. We share ideas, stories, and opinions that are deeply important to us (even when we disagree).

3. Blogging gives everyone, in one sense, a voice. This is important in a culture that usually only gives voice to the sexy, powerful, educated, creative, persistent ones. Some of the most important ideas in American history come from unexpected places (like Baptist preachers from Alabama, and stay-at-home-mom’s who write life-altering novels).

Blogging can be a bad thing.

1. We can eliminate those whom we don’t agree with. We might only read blogs from the N.Y. Times or Fox News because we know which one “tends” to take our position. Instead of being open to the world, new ideas and concepts we simply spend our time reinforcing what we already know to be true. The truly wise people in this world are the ones who realize they don’t know very much.

2. We can distort ourselves. As the saying goes, "Sue in L.A. is really Steve in Fort Worth." People will say things on a blog, they would not say in person. Some people feel as if they have to take on a sort of bravado that does not fit who they are in every day life. Some men feel as if they are the blogosphere’s John Wayne, here to fix the intellectual wagons left in the ditch of ignorance. Be who you is. When you is who you ain’t . . . you ain’t (my college basketball coach used to say this to us all the time). All I am saying, if you are going to blog, try to be the same person you are at school, at home, in the mundaneness of driving to pick-up your kids at soccer practice or running to post office to buy stamps. Don’t try and be a hero. Be the real you. If you are not sure who that is, maybe blogging takes on a more confessional tone (I know it’s been healing for me).

3. Blogging can contribute to the complexity of our busy lives. When I sit at the computer, I go through a checklist. Cell phone. Work voicemail. Yahoo email. Work email. Rochester college email. Facebook. Blog. I need to check all of these. It can be overwhelming. Blogging can be one more thing we add to our lives in order to avoid the people who need us most. Blogging has become a spiritual discipline for me, meaning, I discover God, by putting words to my feelings, emotions, and thoughts. However, if I feel as if blogging becomes one more competitive “feather-in-the-cap” that I use to distance myself from the relationships of my life, I’ll stop. No questions asked.

4 comments:

phil said...

Your words have compelled me to begin to blog again. Just posted, let me know what you think?

Josh Graves said...

We are in Exile. You are a big Brueggemann fan. Good work.

JG

Sara G said...

you're a good blogger Josh

Josh Graves said...

Sara,

When are you going to blog? C'mon. Jump in. You'd do a good job.

JG