13 January 2009

Say What?

I'm studying with ministers from various different Christian backgrounds. Methodist. Pres. Community Church. AME. Baptist. Lutheran. Episcopal. Pentecostal. Church of Christ.

I'm now in my second year of studies at Columbia Seminary. My focus is the relationship of postmodern culture and Christianity. Inevitably, I'm always asked this question. "Which church do you belong to? Because I thought you said 'Church of Christ' . . . but there's no way you are Church of Christ!?"

I always respond, "No. You heard me right. I'm in the Churches of Christ."

Later, I'll write about why my friends say this. After that, I'll talk about why I'm still a part of Churches of Christ (and why I think [some] Churches of Christ have a chance to navigate the waters of postmodern culture).

4 comments:

phil said...

Definitely looking forward to those conversations! I get that same reaction as well, except perhaps add another layer because I am located in the south (Mississippi) where the term church is still referred to as only the “Church of Christ.” But I, like you see hope as well as an opportunity for me to grow.

Anonymous said...

As an initially reluctant and unorthodox member of a (fantastic) Church of Christ, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this topic. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to this. I've been thinking about doing something similar on my blog.

Josh Graves said...

Emily,

Perhaps I should have you write the blog.

Jimmy: I've enjoyed reading your blog bro.