14 January 2009

Calling

I ate dinner last night with two friends: Craig and Mark. Craig works at Duke as the assistant Dean of the Chapel. Mark is a minister for a Baptist Church in VA. Of course, I'm a Church of Christ Minister.

After talking in great detail about college basketball (something we could've discussed all night), the subject turned to calling.

"Did you think you'd ever become a minister," I asked?

"No," responded Craig. "I was working as a broadcast play-by-play voice for North Carolina (he loves to tell the story of playing pick up ball against Marian Jones) before I went to study theology and ministry."

"Me neither," said Mark. "I was a Business major in undergrad, worked in Atlanta before I decided I wanted to study theology and ministry. My family was quite shocked."

I talked about my difficult path of deciding what I wanted to do. First, I wanted to major in English. Then history. Then English. Then theology and ministry. Finally, I ended up getting a degree in history, with minors in the other two before I went off myself to study theology and ministry. I thought I would coach college basketball for the rest of my life (even spent one year at ACU doing just that while working on a masters degree).

Things never turn out how we plan. And that, in my experience, is the great thing about being alive.

Towards the end of the conversation, something hit me. All three of us knew that we were doing exactly what God, for this season of our lives, was calling us to do. Not many people can say that. I consider it humbling that I feel as if I'm doing something that allows me to be the best human God created me to be (most days anyways). There are so many things that I'm not good at, that take the life right out of my spirit. But l love serving God's church. I would not rather be doing anything else.

"Don't ask what the world needs. Instead, ask what makes you come alive. What the world needs is people who've come alive."

"The glory of God is a person come fully alive."

4 comments:

phil said...

It’s interesting that you blog about “calling” right now; I was just going through Brueggemann’s commentary on Genesis and was reading about the calling of Abraham. One point that he makes in the commentary is that “barrenness seems to be the arena from which God chooses to call.” God brings life where death and hopelessness seems to be! (I think about your ministry at Cass Park)

The questions I asked the class I’m going through Genesis with is 1) Are we constantly asking where the “barren places” are, and seeking to be there as well. And 2) God’s calling’s always involved risk, what risk’s are we participating in as a called body of believers? If we’re not taking any risk, are we accepting our call?

Courtney Strahan said...

Josh, whose quote is this: "Don't ask what the world needs. Instead, ask what makes you come alive. What the world needs is people who've come alive."

And man, what I wouldn't give to figure out my calling... I struggle with this.

Josh Graves said...

Phil, Thanks for sharing that. I will write that down.

Courtney, you are on the path! You're closer than you were a year ago to figuring out where God is leading.

JG

Barecycles said...

Marvelous post on "calling". I never thought I would be in the position I am in now. I seriously thought I would be the CIO of some corporation one day. The world trained me to be a Systems Analyst and that's what the degree on the wall tells me but God has spent over 50 years calling/training me to be a handyman and it has brought me into contact with a lot of "least of these" folks, and I love it.