08 December 2008

Marathons, Triathlons, and Stephen King

Three years ago, Andy Harrison convinced me to train and run my first marathon. It was a great experience. Then, last year, my (twin) brother convinced me to train and complete my first triathlon. You can read about that here.

My brother has not looked back since doing his first triathlon. He did another one in August and is now training for a big triathlon in Florida, set for the end of April. All of the money he raises goes toward cancer treatments for Haley Ray--a five-year-old from Ann Arbor fighting Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia for almost 2 years now. She will be undergoing chemotherapy and steroid treatment until July of 2009.

To donate money to this, or to learn more about Team-In-Training, read here.
---
If you have a desire to become a good (or even decent writer), Stephen King has much to say on this subject. I just finished On Writing and have a great deal to digest.

King says that if you want to be a good writer, you have to become a voracious reader.

I also appreciated his metaphor on writing that drives his entire thesis. King had a huge desk that used to sit in the middle of his austere writing room. The desk was mammoth. After bouts with alcohol and drug addiction, King realized that he'd tried to make his life fit into his writing instead of allowing his writing to flow out of his life. Now, he has a simple, unimpressive desk in the corner of his writing room to remind him that art is not meant to dominate life.

I really like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did a Century bike ride with Team-in-Training several years back. They are a top notch organization. I loved my entire experience with them.