01 December 2008

The Great Steak Mistake

A few weeks ago (on a Friday) I was in a particularly good mood. I had just received word that I was going to get a contract from a publisher for the book I've been working on for over a year now . . . I was relieved, excited, anxious, etc.

I called home to tell Kara the good news. "We should celebrate by going to dinner tonight," I said with a good amount of passion. "Sounds great, I'm in," Kara responded. I should note here that since about the middle of October, Kara has been craving steak on a regular basis. Angus. Sirloin. N.Y. Strip. Makes no difference.

"We could get steaks!" I added.

Fast forward three hours later . . . I came home from work, sat down on the couch, looked Kara dead in the eye and uttered words I now regret, "Kara--let's just stay home tonight. I'm tired. We can celebrate the book contract later. I know . . . I will make some tomato soup."

A death glare that rivals anything Hitler, Pol Pot, or Mussolini came my direction. Not only was I a) changing date plans (something that I should know by now is a death wish) but b) I was asking my pregnant wife to give up eating steak for c) tomato liquid. The perfect storm began to come together.

Being the perceptive man I am . . . (and feeling the death stare like a 125 degree heat lamp) I immediately said, "Or . . . we'll get steaks. Steak sounds good. I'll get my keys. Grab your coat."

Disaster averted.

Lesson #437: If you promise your pregnant wife the very food she craves, you'd better deliver. Your life is on the line.

6 comments:

phil said...

Great story; I'm sure you made "pocket of sunshine" happy as well :)

By the way, now I'm craving a steak; still deciding whether I should tell my wife though.

Josh Graves said...

It's only dangerous if she's pregnant. So...is she?

phil said...

We already have two and right now not planning on anymore.

Josh Graves said...

My bad.

enjoy steaks!

Tim Perkins said...

Josh: Just a note to thank you for the superb message you brought to Highland Oaks a couple of weeks ago. We thoroughly enjoyed it...to the point that we almost wish you could relocate to Texas...but we know you are doing a tremendous work in the Detroit area and wish you the very best!

Josh Graves said...

Tim,

Thanks for your note. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at HOCC. All the best to you and your family.

JG