31 December 2008

Book Reviews

I've been able to catch up on good reading the last month or so. Yes, I have a job . . . but I'd rather read at night than just about anything else (save hanging with KG or working out with KG). I am still trying to practice "middle reading"--reading from as wide a perspective as possible.

Some books that might interest you for 2009:

The Plot Against America (Roth). Outstanding novel asking the question what would have happened to America had the Nazi sympathizer Charles Lindbergh defeated FDR just prior to America's entrance into WWII. Written from the perspective of one of America's most influential Jewish thinkers.

Life of Pi
. All the rave the last few years. You can't go wrong with this novel. It's a modern
Old Man and the Sea/Moby Dick meets Lost. Sort of. There are some great moments in this book. My two favorite . . . both of which I'm using in my book this year (Jesus Feast--shameless plug) . . . 1) The conversation with his three religious leaders (Buddhist, Christian, Muslim) near the beginning of the book--that was interesting. I would have added some different things had I been the spokesperson for Christianity :) 2) His section on fear is brilliant. Overall that's the strength of the book I think. Fear is woven into creation, humanity and how we "cope" is shaped by our ability to be okay with dying. Dying, after all, isn't the worst thing that can happen to us. That will preach!

Writing for Story. If you are a writer or storyteller or preacher or simply want to read about the way in which good stories are constructed, you have to check out Jon Franklin's book. The two short stories included are worth the price of the book alone.

Ultramarthon Man. Not my typical read but I promised my brother (who's becoming a top-notch triathlete) I would read it. Overall, crazy read. You can read it in a day. It's wild. If you love to read about extreme feats, the connection of our physical bodies and spirituality, this is a book you'll enjoy.

Everyman (Roth). There is some adult content (beware). But if that bothers you, don't read half the Old Testament. Roth tells a story like very few. This book is about meaning, narcissism, death, religion, the afterlife, the meaning of God, and family. Powerful story of the "everyman" in American culture and how we cope with mistakes, loss, and death.

Becoming a Dad (James and Thomas). Great book. I absolutely loved it. For any new dads out there (like moi), it is a pastoral guide to finding your voice as a dad and husband in a time of transition.

Out of the Darkness (Rice). Anne Rice's memoir, as memoir's go (one of my favorite genre's), is a decent read. Rice is the author (among other books) of Interview with Vampire. This memoir is essentially about returning to her Roman Catholic roots. Deeply insightful.

Last and perhaps least. If you are really feeling brave, you might want to check out A Theology of Public Life and Soul in Society. Both are highly academic but full of insight, historical perspective and new ideas about plowing ahead as the church struggles with her identity in American culture.

UPDATED: I forgot to mention the leadership analysis book, The Four Colors. It's based on the Birkman test, for leadership guru's out there. I am a lock, stock, and barrel "green" category. Good read. Thanks to my friend John Laster for this book.

The lineup for the next few weeks looks like this:

Acedia and Me (Kathleen Norris--one of my favorite writers on the planet).
The Four Agreements (Ruiz)
Three Cups of Tea (Mortenson and Relin)
Like You'd Understand Anyway (Shephard)
A Mercy (the great Toni Morrison).

---

What books moved you the last few months?


10 comments:

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Try "Jesus for President" by Shane
Claiborne and Chris Haw. Klint pointed me to this one and I am enjoying it.

Barecycles said...

Books that have moved me recently...
Mere Discipleship (Camp)
Cure For the Common Life (Lucado)
1776 (McCullough)
and for some reason I was fascinated by Eric Clapton's autobiography.

Josh Graves said...

Brad,

Love "Jesus for President" very interesting interpretation. Very Yoder-esque (Notre Dame ethics teacher who revolutionized theology in the twentieth century).

barecycles: Love Camp. Haven't read 1776 but would like to. Clapton's auto was excellent. Read it on my way to Africa this summer. Wow.

JG

Barecycles said...

After reading "1776" I was left wondering how America ever became a nation. So many little things fell into place...I was fascinated by the way McCullough tells the story.

"Jesus for President" was just recently recommended by a friend...can't wait to start it.

Tim Perkins said...

Since you're a sports nut, try Josh Hamilton's "Beyond Belief", an autobiography detailing his dark days of drug use and his incredible escape...made possible by his commitment to Jesus Christ.

Since he plays for a local team, I get to watch Hamilton a lot. When he gets on camera, he nearly always gives credit to God. A true hero in my book.

Josh Graves said...

"how America ever became a Nation"--that is a great line. I love the idea that the U.S. is one of the "great experiments in the history of mankind."

Of course, we have our share of skeletons (some admitted some not)...but it's a fascinating place.


---

Tim,

I'm following your trip around the world and I'm stunned. You are a stud for doing this. Seriously. No planes and no reservations. That's incredible.

East Africa is wild. Good luck.

Josh Graves said...

Tim,

My bad. I clicked on "blogs you are following" and thought it was yours. Opps. :)

I'll check out your blog still.


JG

Tim Perkins said...

Josh, you did scare me a bit there. I thought maybe I really was supposed to be on this crazy trip. I'm not sure I'd travel to Detroit, let alone East Africa.

Josh Graves said...

Tim,

Ha. I was reading the blog linked to yours. My bad.

Sara G said...

I just finished The Red Tent and Time Traveler's Wife. Fun reading.