13 December 2008

Sabbath

The three most important ingredients to ensure a great vacation are:

1. The people who go with you.

2. Where you go.

3. The books you take with you.

So, let’s do inventory.

1. Kara is coming with me. She’s the best travel partner. She loves adventure. She loves to eat good food. And, she doesn’t mind that I love to read on vacation.

2. We are doing our first ever cruise. I can’t wait to scuba-dive in Cozumel. I have not gone scuba-diving since Ocho Rios with my brother. It’s one of my favorite things on the planet. I first learned on a little island off of Honduras when I was 19. I've been hooked ever since.

3. Last but not least, books. I’m taking Plot Against America, Everyman, Writing for Story, Called out of Darkness, and Becoming a Dad. It’s a good mix: two novels by one of my new favorite writers, one book on writing by a Pulitzer winner, one memoir from Anne Rice, and one book about parenting.

It will be a week of Sabbath. Rest. Space. Time. Food. Kara. Water.

Sabbath is spiritual.

If you are busy and burned out, Sabbath is God’s remedy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard "Becoming a dad" is good. Let me know what you think about it. It is a Relevant Media Group book, and they usually put out interesting stuff!

Kyle

Unknown said...

I heard "Becoming a dad" is good. Let me know what you think about it. It is a Relevant Media Group book, and they usually put out interesting stuff!

Josh Graves said...

Kyle:

Becoming a Dad is supposed to be great.

The book and the real thing.

Ha.

We'll miss you guys.

See you soon.

PS We need to see some of these good movies coming out this Christmas!

Jon said...

What cruise line are you taking?

Matthew said...

Good suggests on the vacation. It is usually the beach for me, and the books are highly important too.