26 October 2008

Witnesses

"The life for which God has been preparing you for is, by the grace of God, slowly being taken from you." --Walter Brueggemann quoted in Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor

---

I love thinking about Sunday Worship as the dress rehearsal for the rest of the week. Sunday morning worship is the time when all of God's actors come together to receive their script for the week. This morning, at Rochester Church, we came together to pray, to listen, to confess, to sing, to worship, to be still, to laugh, to hug, to catch up, to encourage, to remember, to hope, lament, to pause . . . but most of all to hear from the still small voice of God. The real test of today's worship will be the manner in which 900 followers live out their mission Monday morning.

After a long week of reading, writing, studying in my doctoral class at Columbia Seminary I really needed to worship with my local community of faith. I preached in all three today on the meaning of "witness" in Acts 1 and tried to connect that with the film Mr. Holland's Opus. All three services were powerful in their own ways. I was especially touched in Mosaic (our third service) when, as I preached, I looked into the eyes of many of our family members and witnessed a great deal of energy, conviction and hope.

I saw Henry Oyer . . . a Kenyan who one day hopes to return to Nairobi to work with "street kids."

I saw Tom Ngobi, Sara Ageno and Priscilla Batzamuliza . . . three Ugandan students who've blessed my life beyond words.

I saw Lori and L.J. Manry . . . home on furlow from the mission field.

I saw Bert and Ann Bryan . . . two of the best leaders our church has.

I saw John and Sara Barton . . . two of the best partners in ministry anyone could ask for.

I saw Andrew and Eli . . . two young men who've overcome addiction, now claiming God's grace for their life.

I saw Kara . . . my baby-mama (I've been waiting to say that on this blog for a long time) and closest friend on the planet.

I witnessed a room full of people with real doubts, struggles, and concerns coming together to claim the promise that God is with us when we are with each other. Just as he was all over the world today . . . Jesus was among us, inhabiting our words, prayers, speech, and silence. And, sorry Lebron James, we all are witnesses to his justice and mercy.

7 comments:

Matt Deaton said...

I love the Bruggemann quote (and Leaving Church is a great book.) I bet learning from him was an awesome experience. Thanks again for all your thoughts on this blog; most of them are pretty good! :) Matt

preacherman said...

Wonderful thoughts Josh. I hope you have a great week! :-)

Luke Savage III said...

Josh, I'm curoius: wjat is your definition of "missional." I'm sure you have some valuable insight

Josh Graves said...

Luke:

I would start by suggesting The Missional Church (Guder) which you may already know about.

A missional church is a church that dedicates themselves to the local community. They ask, "if we ceased to exist, how would the city around us be any different?"

Becoming missional is not easy. For established churches like Rochester, this takes around seven years to do so.

Missional sees the U.S. now as the largest evangelistic opportunity since the end of WW2.

"Missional" is rooted in the Hebrew Testament of "imago Dei" . . . that every human alive is created in the image of God and that God (via the church) wants to bring them into community because at God's heart, God is missional.

Hope that helps.

PS Book plug--the book I'm working on (almost done, hopefully out this Spring) is all about what it looks like to do mission in the suburban/urban context. IT's called Jesus Feast: Spirituality for the Hungry.

JG

Josh Graves said...

Matt,

"most of them are pretty good :)" I knew you were suspicious of McLaren . . . ha. Just kidding.

Love ya bro.

JG

phil said...

Josh,

You said you were working on a book about what it looks like to be missional; I have a question about that and would like your thoughts.

I wondered if, given the type of learners and preferences of today’s generation, (more visual and virtual rather than face to face) have had negative implications in the missional fields of our neighborhoods. In other words, do you think our current generation is less likely to be “hands- on Christians” because of their preference for virtual interaction rather than physical contact?

Josh Graves said...

Phil,

That's a great question. This generation you mention . . . values diversity highly but, as you've pointed out . . . they are driven and shaped by virtual friendship.

Conflict resolution is very difficult in my experience. But that's not just generational. Many folks are using email's and blogs to say/portray themselves in ways they would not do in person (in body).

I don't know the answer to your question. I think if they have embodied models (pastors, friends, etc.) who show them a different way of what it means to be human, than they might respond to that.