07 October 2008

The Boss


Bruce Springsteen, arguably one of the most influential musicians/artists of the last twenty-five years, gave a free acoustic concert at Eastern Michigan University yesterday in hopes to register college students for the upcoming election.

It was a remarkable event. We (Kara, Sara and Nate Barton) got 20 feet from the stage. He played for 30-40 minutes. We did not pay one dime.

He dedicated Devil and Dust to the troops still working and serving in the Middle East. That was a "thin space" moment. Especially when he uttered these words: "Now every woman and every man/They wanna take a righteous stand/Find the love that God wills/And the faith that He commands/I've got my finger on the trigger/And tonight faith just ain't enough/When I look inside my heart/There's just devils and dust"


2 comments:

Joel said...

Bro, we are so cool. That comment of mine was a dig at Seidman. He's my good buddy and I tease him for being the "Rich Cardinal" of the C of C. Bailey is a man with God's heart and a blessing to me and so many. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Josh Graves said...

One friend had this to say . . .

"Springsteen has the coolness of a detached Buddha. Bono has the coolness of a megalomaniacal Buddha."

Wow. That's right on.