02 December 2007

Covenant

This weekend, our small group spent three days with several other couples at a marriage retreat in Grand Haven, Michigan. Our retreat was hosted at the Khardoma Lodge. This bed and breakfast, located some three hundred yards from Lake Michigan, was built in 1873--just ten years after the conclusion of America's Civil War.

On the whole, I've found much of the literature related to marriage analogous to cotton candy. For the first three bites, cotton candy is great. After those few bites, you begin to ask yourself, "What am I eating here . . . air?" So much of the literature, Christian and non-Christian notwithstanding, focuses on the selfish desires and destructive patterns already embedded within our souls. For instance, as important as "his needs, her needs" approaches might be--it is easily twisted into an I'd-better-get-what-I-want attitude that resembles the heart of a child and not that of a saint.

Instead of starting with this question, "How can I grow deeper in my own spirituality (i.e. contentment, selflessness, simplicity, honesty)?"—we turn relationships into yet another narcissistic pursuit, consumed with the way my spouse should contribute to my shallow happiness.

This weekend, we traded the cotton candy for steak and potatoes. There are a thousand moments lodged into my head as I write.

Two couples, who came on this retreat as their "last attempt" to reconcile their marriage, worked through years of pain and hurt, coming to a place of understanding and hope.

My high school football coach was there with his wife. We caught up on old friends and recalled highlight experiences. When I hear his voice, some twelve years later, my body wants to fall to the ground and do twenty push-ups. For the record, I did not indulge this premonition.

Kara and I had a host of meaningful conversations and funny moments: all of which I'll keep between the two of us.


I'm chewing on what our spiritual leader fed us with concerning the purpose of marriage as understood from the Genesis narrative. "God created marriage for three specific purposes. First, to remind us that we were created as reflectors of the divine image. Second, marriage functions to heal the wounds of our childhood. Abandonment, isolation, terror, hunger, pain, pressure, and identity-confusion once consumed our development. Man and woman coming together addresses the destructive patterns we instilled to numb the pain of our hearts. Lastly, marriage is a taste of God's new heaven and earth; the day when all will eat at 'the supper of the Lamb.'"

The weekend ended appropriate enough.

At 12:15 p.m. I handed a piece of bread to Kara saying words I've spoken so many times, "The body of Christ, broken for you." Then, after a few seconds, I handed her the drink, "The blood of Christ shed for you." She did likewise and we prayed for God's spirit to continue guiding our steps.

If that statistics are accurate, one out of every two marriage will end in divorce. Families ripped apart. Hearts broken. Dreams dashed.

How much more counter-cultural can one be than spending time focusing on the covenant that binds two people for life?

A friend of mine is remembered for saying, "If you want to change the world, love your wife.”I used to think this to be a, well . . . exaggerated sentiment. I'm beginning to think that my friend might be on to something important; something holy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is really interesting to roll the idea around in my head that marriage is designed to create a place to heal wounds from early in life.
I think the wounds from early in my life are the reasons I'm running from any sort of relationship that could lead to marriage. From what you're saying here, it sounds like what I am doing is going to help me heal even less.

Josh Ross said...

Some of the greatest advice ever given to me:
1) Your family is your first church.
2) Save the best of your day for your family.

These are two of my commitments.

Josh Graves said...

Emily: That might be true. But you don't need to be in a hurry to run in either direction. You have to become the person you want to marry. That's the wisest counsel someone gave me when I was a student.

Josh: I love those two thoughts and I see you living that in your marriage. I appreciate our friendship. Go Pistons.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I appreciate your words and know that the 'lessons' we learned in the course of the weekend past will stand us in good stead as we girth in the armor of God and defend the beauty of the soulmates our wives are destined to be.
May the peace of God be upon you both, May He turn His face towards each of you and give you the peace of His faithfulness.

On behalf of the one who's heart God has given me to pursue.....

Jim Hutson

Josh Graves said...

Jim,

Thanks for the words. I did not know you were a chaplain. That's great!

It was great getting to meet you.

Vanessa said...

A) Despite the obvious lack of cute couple pictures from the weekend, good blog.
B) You played football?
C) You look like a sailor in Kara's new blog picture.
D) I like the early wounds part. Good to think about as we recognize that we all have different "demons" we deal with, so our spouse is different, not wrong.
E) I am a major proponent of cotton candy. Back off the spun air.
F) Cliche but great marriage advise: Make home a place your spouse enjoys coming to. AKA don't be such a nag and pick up your crap
G) Tell Kara sorry WV lost :(

Anonymous said...

Josh,
And I did not know you were a published author......:)

In Him,
Jim