05 December 2007

What I Meant to Say . . .

We’ve all done it. We’ve all said something we came to regret. It might have been in a public setting where our nerves sabotaged our intentions. Or it might have happened in the context of a private conversation.

One thing that happens to humans—we say funny, embarrassing things. A friend recently shared this one with me:


I might have told you this already . . . but in one of my classes I was talking about Solomon's wives, and I was hoping to emphasize the enormity of the claim that is being made in the text.

So . . . I MEANT to say,
"1,000 wives . . . can you imagine how many weddings he had to do every month?"
And instead I said,
"1,000 wives . . . can you imagine how many he had to do every month?"


And that left me with a dilemma: I could pretend that I meant to say that, which would make me sound depraved . . . or I could reveal that I had misspoken, which would make the whole thing much more amusing. I went with door #2, and spent the next 10 minutes trying to regain control of the class.


* * *

What is the funniest or embarrassing thing you’ve ever said in public or in a conversation with someone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, I was having a conversation with my mom. You know how busy and crazy my schedule is, so I was trying to get all of my ducks in a row when she asked me what my plans for Christmas Eve were. Trying to remember what day of the week Christmas Eve fell on, I synced it up in my head with the knowledge that the musical is on the 21st and 22nd, which are a Friday and Saturday. So I asked her, "Christmas Eve is on the 24th this year, right?"

She just laughed at me. I felt like a complete moron.

Kara Graves said...

well, let's see....it is hard for me to come up with just one of the things I have said....my mouth messes me up all the time!