29 July 2008

Review of The Shack


A few people emailed me today, suggesting this review of The Shack. I wrote one blog about this work. BTW--people whom I deeply respect (accomplished scholars and theologians included) disagree on the "quality" and "value" of The Shack. If you've read the book, you probably know why.

Here's a piece of that review . . .

Yet in order to give a work a fair hearing, we have an obligation to engage it on its own terms. A "good faith" reading of The Shack involves, among other things, attending to Young's reasons for writing, his intended audience, and its particular literary form.

Young says he wrote the book at his wife's prodding, to explain his 11-year journey of healing with God to their six children. The "shack" in Young's story represents deep personal wounds, both suffered and inflicted. The book is spiritual autobiography (in one web interview, Young says Mack is "basically me") cast in an alternative world, an imaginative attempt to condense 11 years into a weekend of conversations. These are words offered by a 53-year-old father to his children, a fictionalized tale of his relationship with God mended in deep darkness.

Therefore, it's tricky to speak definitively of The Shack's theology. Young could have written a theological treatise, a spiritual memoir, or even a long poem. Instead, he wrote what he calls a "parable" (not an allegory). That should give readers pause about confidently reading off a systematic theology from the book.

4 comments:

phil said...

I actually saw in a book store recently a big sign that was standing near the table holding copies of “The Shack” that read: “this book is fiction.” I guess enough people have made a loud enough fuss.

Anyways, I thought Ben Witherington had a balanced review of the book on his blog page:

http://benwitherington.blogspot.com
here he addresses the hierarchy conversation, the Jesus without religion conversation and other topics that he says may need some theological refining.

Josh Graves said...

Phil,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that out for sure.

I respect Witherington's work a great deal.

JG

Anonymous said...

I think it is always interesting to hear how certain books have "changed people's lives." To be honest, that is why I read the book- I was weary of hearing how it would change my life. I think for someone who has never critically dealt with God as trinity it is a fascinating work. In addition, I think Young does about as good a job as any of presenting sysytematic theology in a creative and engaging way. At the very least, Young's work opens dialouge and encourages questions about areas that have traditionally been taboo or taken for granted. Bottom line, I loved it for what it was meant to be. . . a great, creative story and reflection of a man's journey to the heart of God.

Anonymous said...

Just saw that The Shack is out on Audio book!