09 July 2008

Christ Plays in Africa and Beyond . . .

WARNING: This blog is a bit esoteric. Coloring books are not available. :)

Understanding the various depictions (translation: christologies) of Jesus in history and culture is one of the most important tasks of the Christian seeker. For instance, I wrote a blog sometime back about different "christologies" in the twentieth century.

In preparation for coming to Uganda and teaching at BBS, I got my hands on Kwame Bediako's Jesus and the Gospel in Africa (thanks to Spencer Bogle for that). I don't have the book with me as I write. However, one thing stands out to me as I write from Jinja/The Source/Manry Estate. Among other images, Bediako describes two images of Christ "playing" (think performing, enacted) in Africa.

*Jesus is the Great Ancestor. He is the One who goes before and and is now among the great "cloud of witnesses" (to borrow from language within Hebrews).

*Jesus is the Physician. He is the One who brings healing to the sick, poor, and suffering . . . especially those with H.I.V. or A.I.D.S. Think the gospel of Luke.

Thinking at the same time about the different ways in which Jesus is "packaged" in America--Buddy Jesus, Best Friend Jesus, Bless Me Jesus, CEO Jesus, Psychologist Jesus--I can't help but wonder which Jesus might get the gospel a truer hearing. The following are six images I'd like to pursue to see if the four gospels match up in any way.

1. Suffering Servant
2. Exposer of Powers
3. Protector of Powerless
4. Parent to the Neglected
5. True Representative of Spirituality
6. Healer of Tribalism

3 comments:

Josh Ross said...

Quit becoming a "resident theologican" everywhere you go! :)

John 1:14 takes on new life in different cultures, huh?

On a sad note, the Tigers have lost 11 straight, and your hero A-Rod is having some serious marital problems.

Dana M. said...

Intriguing idea. . .instead of just protector of the powerless, what about seeing Him as a champion of the powerless. I keep thinking of these images from the Gospels where he didn't just stand in as a shield for the forgotten, the sub-standard and the young. He stood up for them in ways that gave them dignity and purpose. More a champion of their role in every society instead of a warrior to defend them.

Just a thought.

preacherman said...

Wow.
Wonderful post.
I really believe everything that you have writen.
Keep up the great work brother.