06 July 2008

Jinja pt. 4

Kara and I were able to stay the night last night with Richard and Ida. Richard is the minister for the Jinja Church of Christ, Ida is the "living saint" who ministers and serves in the city and in the villages. When you are around her, you know you are in the presence of holiness.

Aside from the radio blasting all night (Ugandans love to sleep with the radio on, turned up all the way), we slept great. Ida treated us to a feast fit for kings and queens.

This morning, Kara and I joined some of the interns and Sara Barton to worship in Kyabirwa (Cha-beer-a). I preached for about twenty minutes, with a translator. My jokes weren't nearly as funny via translation as they were in my head as I crafted them.

Towards the end of the service, it was mentioned that someone from the church had donated two eggs for the church. Since the "eggs would not fit in the bank" it was proposed that the eggs be auctioned and the proceeds go towards the contribution. Add this to the "things I'd never see in Detroit list."

Two of our students fought tooth and nail over the purchase of the eggs. I believe the eggs went for a handsome sum of twenty thousand shillings.

We are really enjoying our time here . . . not that we ever keep track of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, that's ok. Your jokes aren't that funny here, either!

We miss you guys, and are VERY jealous. God bless you both and give you joy.

Klint Pleasant said...

Josh:
So happy that your getting this experience. I dont know if you ever new this but I spent a summer in Nigeria after college...I would love to go back! Cant wait to hear more about your experience.

Klint

Danna said...

I had to smile as I read about Richard and Ida! Please give them our love from Tulsa, OK.

I'm excited for your experience there in Jinja. Some of our dear friends were also on that team with the Bartons, Moores, Taylors, etc: Clint and Briley Davis. Because of them, Jinja is dear to our hearts.

Blessings~
Danna Townsdin

Anonymous said...

Josh and Kara,
It has been sometime since I've spoken with either of you, but I came across your blog in a round about way. I want you both to know that I will be praying for your time in Africa; that it will be a blessing to God's name, to the people you serve, and to you and Kara.
I know you will allow God to stretch you and challenge you both in ways that will glorify Him.
--Be a light
Jared Irvine (and Abby) from Woodmont Hills
--tell Kara I thought of her as Abby and I were at NWOCYC all ages week

Josh Ross said...

Love the updates. Can't wait to hear more about the trip.