03 April 2008

A Jesus Story . . .

Two men decide to go to church one Sunday. One is a preacher, the other, a biker.

The preacher gets to church early. He turns his computer on in his cozy office. He checks over his notes one last time, combing every last detail and transition. Feeling a twinge of doubt creep into his gut he looks up at his wall to view his theology degrees hanging in great pride.

The preacher walks into the sanctuary prepared for worship. He holds his hands high in the air and declares, “God, thank-you for making me a leader of leaders. I teach, tithe, and volunteer with the homeless. It’s good to be me.”

The other man, the biker, comes into the worship service ten minutes late. Several pairs of eyes meet his. He doesn’t fit the church-going look. Unsure of where to sit, the biker walks close to the front—greasy jeans, tattoos, big black boots and all. As he walks toward the front the chain attached to his hip smacks against his leather coat.

During one of the worship songs (“Who would’ve thought that a lamb would rescue the souls of men?”), the biker drops his head, and presses his right hand against his chest. “God, I sure have made a mess of my life—please, please, forgive me.”

Two men went to church to pray. One was a minister with all the right credentials. The other was a man who loved Harley’s more than the air in his lungs. The man who’d lived a hard life went home justified. The minister just went home. Why? Jesus gives us the answer, “For whoever thinks highly of himself will be humbled. Whoever is humbled will be justified.”

Jesus told that story. It’s in Luke’s gospel. I like it, but some stories Jesus told really irritate me. Actually, some stories haunt me, and keep me up at night. Christianity becomes something different when Jesus begins to keep you up at night. It’s one thing when the Tigers or your shopping list keeps you awake. It’s another when it’s Jesus that won’t allow you a peaceful night’s rest.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh,
Thank you for this amazing post – and for your honesty. I am moved and convicted by it myself. Imagine that…God working through the blog community.
I really enjoyed the Tulsa workshop…God used you, Patrick, and so many others to encourage and build up his family, and we appreciate it.

Anyway – I just wanted to say “hi,” and that I appreciate you and the way God is using you in the Kingdom. We’ve not met before – but I know Patrick pretty well, and I know Kara well enough to known that she’s a great daughter of God – and that speaks very well of you…
Have a great day!

Josh Graves said...

Jamie,

Thanks for the note. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet in Tulsa. I hope our paths cross soon. I'll check out your blog.

Anonymous said...

A biker parable - I love it! As a biker myself, I can appreciate a Jesus lesson especially when it is presented in terms I can understand.
I've thouroughly enjoyed both your and Patrick's blog.

Josh Graves said...

barecycles...glad to know there's an audience out there for "bike parables"--who knew?

JG

Anonymous said...

Josh: Ah yes...who would have thought such an audience existed. The Wayfaring Strangers (the name of our group) have not only found an audience but a slice of humanity that is eager to know the Lord. Our motorcycle ministry has been a beautiful thing to watch develop. God can do some amazing things if we'll just let Him have His way. That is why your "Jesus Story" was so meaningful. I've seen such a story unfold in our own congregation. Not sure why the 'churched' can be so skittish around the 'unchurched' especially when they look like Paul Teutul or Indian Larry ;o)