08 April 2008

Josh, Kite Runner, Leno

Josh Ross spent the weekend with us. He taught at our annual young adult formation retreat. He also preached (with me) three times on Sunday morning at Rochester Church (four if you add CC:M). He is truly a gifted teacher and preacher of the Jesus Story. He got to see two of the Tigers well-publicized losses while in the D. Maybe he's bad luck. No . . .maybe the Tigers are simply "fat cats" . . .

------------------

Kara and I watched The Kite Runner tonight. I read the book this summer during our Florida vacation. I sat on the beach, paralyzed by this story, perhaps one of the great redemption narratives of our generation. Movies are never as good as the book. Never.

Yet, I admit, this movie is almost as good as the book. I'm going to be teaching our mid-week service tomorrow night about spiritual friendship using this book as the beginning point.

----------------

Heard on Jay Leno tonight. "The Tigers are 0-6 (actually, now they are 0-7). That's incredible. They are scoring less than Mayor Kilpatrick." Nice, Jay. Kick us while we're down. We'll be back.

3 comments:

Kara Graves said...

hahaha. Jay's joke made my night.

I really enjoyed the movie as well. It is powerful.

Jeanne said...

Okay Josh, I'll add that to my list of books. I've finished The Shack and already gotten several friends reading it. I've ordered four more books that I have planned to give to special people whose hearts are just waiting for this story. Thanks so much for recommending it!

I agree, the movies are never as good as the books!

Josh Ross said...

The retreat was awesome.

The Tigers won tonight!

About the movie, I have to ask, how graphic was the rape scene? The answer to this question will determine if I watch the movie or not.