12 April 2008

Life, Death, New Life

I spent part of the last two days at a local hospital.

Johnny and Erin Pleasant (two very close friends), welcomed their first child into the world: Logan Palmer Pleasant. He's a beautiful healthy boy. He weighed six pounds and measured in, if my memory is correct, at 19 inches. He's already a Duke fan, I'm told, just like his daddy.

Another young family from our church welcomed their fifth child into this world a few rooms down the hall from the Pleasant family.

Just two floors below them, a young twenty-four year old woman (whose parents are rock solid members of our church community) lost her life after she suffered a brain aneurysm while giving birth to her first child: a sweet young girl named Skylar Nicole. Skylar's dad, widower and first time dad at the tender age of twenty-four, is now left to pick up the pieces of death's cruel destruction.

This is one of the worst tragedies I've witnessed in eight years of ministry. Words only make things worse in this scenario. If you are interested in helping young Skylar and her father (Alan), you can give a tax-deductible gift to:

Skylar Nicole Trust
Charter One Bank
27375 23 Mile Road
Chesterfield, MI 48051


"Humans do not lose control. We lose the illusion that we were ever in control in the first place."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying that God comforts and leads Skylar and her daddy in the days ahead. I'll also be praying that God uses you in a "Powerful" way to minister to them.

Anonymous said...

My goodness! In one day I've complained how about how much I owe in hospital bills, the fact that I have to pay $3.50 a gallon for gas, the neighbors barking dog, junk mail I've received [ad nauseum] and then I read your last post about this tragedy. Have mercy on me Lord for not understanding the depth of my blessings.
Thanks Josh for sharing this and know that Alan will be taken care of even in such a loss. God has a way of "showing off" his blessings in such times.

Anonymous said...

HE give and takes away.

Josh Graves said...

Jamie and barecycles: Thanks for the note. I am really hoping people feel the burden to contribute to the Trust set-up for young Skylar.

Anonymous: I can handle it, but I hope you are never in a pastoral situation that would prompt you to utter those words.

Manu said...

Josh,

Your post shattered my heart. I honestly don't know what would I have done with Leslie gone at Isabella's birth. Although our finances are limited with one working and three at home, we want to help in any other way possible. Food, staying over night with the baby so the father can rest, watching her during the day so the daddy can work, etc. Let me know what can be done, please.

Anonymous said...

Josh - I'm hearing you're passion for the trust fund, and I didn't mean to overlook it. I'll do some work here to get the word and info out.