06 February 2008

Super Tuesday, There Will Be Blood, Lent

Things get real interesting now.

Hillary and Obama are in for a "heavy-weight" fight. Many so-called experts are giving Obama the edge, but I don't buy it. Hillary isn't going away that easily . . . If Hillary gets the nomination, I don't know if I could vote for her.

McCain, now likely to get the Republican nod, is creating all kinds of waves within the more conservative wing of the party. One friend pointed out this article to me recently--Rush Limbaugh is now saying he'd rather have a Democrat in office than McCain. This is better than anything else on television.

I guess I'll have to change my election final four in the left-hand column.

---------

In other news, I watched There Will Be Blood (Daniel Day-Lewis) last night with a group of friends. No, I did not go to this movie to off-set the recent Chick Flick-Gate. I was sincerely interested in the plot and I was not disappointed. The film is a great comparison of two opportunists--one a pastor, the other an "oil man." Both are relentless in their thirst for power, money, and influence. Besides a rather weak ending, this movie deserves Oscar considerations.

----------

Lenten Season is upon us. A time to focus on the things that distract us from encountering God in our daily lives. Some people give up chocolate. Some abstain from sports, gambling, drinking, and the consumption of specific foods. Last year, I gave up Dr. Pepper (a harder task than I thought it would be). This year, I'm working on my speech: I want to speak only that which love requires. I want to avoid the occasional cuss word, cynical remarks, and negative "put-downs" (my sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Cizmas, used to say, "NO killer statements").

I have a feeling that giving up Dr. Pepper will prove to be an easier mountain to scale than the one I've selected.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There will be Blood was pretty good. I think it did a good job of showing the good and bad of the opposing characters. It showed true complexity...and THERE WAS BLOOD.

I think this will be the first time that I will vote for a candidate that I know will not win. That is definitely a weird feeling. Maybe the conventions will change my mind

Thurman8er said...

As Josh once said on "West Wing,"..."That's already a 'gate??'"

I hear you about the unkind words. I often can't believe what I hear kids say about other kids...even their friends.

Marc said...

I know that these are intended to be three separate headlines, but I see a natural connection between them. A natural progression, even....

Josh Graves said...

Kyle: Yes, There WAS Blood. That's fo' sho'.

Thurman8er (I just like calling you that): I'm sure you never utter a harsh word to your students :)

Have you checked out the Fuller/Spring Arbor programs I mentioned? Great article in Xst. Today about the "past being the road to the future"--Foster and Willard get love in it.

Marc--you are right. Too funny. Good call.

Klint Pleasant said...

"That which love requires" sounds like youve been listening to too many Randy Harris sermons. Were meeting up for our annual final 4 trip...I'll tell him you said hello. Would you vote for Hillary over McCain???
KP

Josh Graves said...

KP,

I don't want to vote for McCain or Hillary...I trust McCain more (don't know why)...but I probably agree with Hillary on more issues. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that.

I was with Randy two weeks ago at ZOE-Fresno: we had great conversation and he's got me reading some new books.

I'll email them to you. I think I'll be with him in Tulsa next month as well...right before the Final Four. BTW, my bro scored some great NCAA tourney tickets, I might see you there.