06 August 2007

Numb

I try to avoid writing too much about the different people who God continues to bring to the Rochester Church in our efforts to reach people of all different backgrounds and experiences. There’s something dangerous about telling the world, through a blog or what have you, all of the stories and people that emerge in one’s ministry. It can quickly take on the feel of “ministry prostitution.”

But, it’s late Monday night, and I cannot help but write about the events that have unfolded the last twelve hours.

This morning I got several phone calls and text messages from some friends of mine that I had to come to the apartment belonging to a few young adults who are apart of our church. I knew something was wrong but I never dreamed of what I was about to walk into.

I pulled up to the apartments around 10am. The police had just arrived along with a few family members. I walked into the apartment to the reality that a young man (19 years old) had overdosed on drugs (what kind is not that important in this story). His body lay lifeless on the bed in the main bedroom. It had begun to turn a color not normal to my experience with flesh and blood.

“He’s been dead for some time,” I heard someone whisper in a corner.

I will write more in the coming days. There’s family to tend to. Stories to be told. A funeral to be planned.

For now, I’m still in shock. I don’t really have any emotions. I feel numb. I feel empty with little stirring inside.

This young man worshipped with us yesterday. He broke bread with us yesterday. He listened to me preach yesterday. The entire gathering (during our third service) prayed over him yesterday. He repeated a confession from The Book of Common Prayer with his other brothers and sisters in Christ…yesterday.

And today…he’s dead. He’s not sleeping. He’s not in a coma. He’s not hibernating. Yesterday he was alive and today he is dead.

I do a lot of teaching about taking risks. This year I’ve spoken all over the country, by the grace of God. I have encouraged people to take risks for the kingdom of God, seeing people as humans created in God’s image regardless of their plight, skin color or addiction. I insist on this in front of our church in the classes I teach at Rochester College and in private small discussions. Occasionally, I even preach to it to myself.

And I still believe that is the mission we are called to with all my heart and soul.

But sometimes in life, you have to pause, and say “This business of following Jesus is so much harder than I expected it to be. It’s messy, confusing, and downright depressing.”

So today I pause to say exactly that.

Life is hard. Life is as hard as crucible steel. No bumper sticker, proof-text hall mark card, or “God needed another angel” conversation can do anything to change this grim reality.

Today I’m grateful to follow a God who entered into the suffering, pain, addiction, and shame of this world. I’m grateful to serve a God who promises me one thing only: “If this world kills us, I will raise you from the dead.”

9 comments:

Courtney Strahan said...

i'll be sending up some prayers for you, and everyone else involved. peace to you, friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Courtney.

I've received several encouraging notes already. It's a blessing to have so many Christians to walk along side.

Anonymous said...

Josh, M. Scott Peck wrote in "The Road Less Traveled" that "Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult--once we truly understand and accept it--then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."

I praise God that you were there for our young people and that you will be there for them and us in the years to come.

Anonymous said...

God is so frustratingly confusing, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Patrick,

Thanks for the words. I know Peck has influenced hundreds of Christians all over the world...thanks for sharing a bit of wisdom.

Thanks for standing by your fellow ministers who have crazy ideas about reaching the "least likely folks."

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Yes. God is confusing.

I'm so proud of you, how you've ministered in this situation. You've been a rock in all of this.

The RC students who've stepped up have blown me away with their love, generosity and compassion.

You all are teaching me.

PAT THOMAS said...

JOSH
BOTH MY SON'S KNOW NIC PARADISE AND WERE AWARE OF HIS STRUGGLES. UNFORTUNATELY HE IS THE FOURTH YOUNG MAN IN THE LAST FEW YEARS TO LOOSE THE BATTLE WITH ADDICTION, ALSO FROM ROCHESTER. WE CAN ONLY PRAY THE YOUNG WOMEN AND MEN LOOK CLOSELY AT THE OUTCOME OF THEIR FRIENDS AND SEEK CHRIST. I AM GREATFUL THEY HAVE YOU IN THEIR PRESENCE.

Anonymous said...

Pat,

Thanks for the post. Drugs and addictions are just as big a problem in the burbs as they are in the city...I've learned this up close and personal over the last few years.

Anonymous said...

This entry was a little invasive. Did the details of this tragedy really need to be revealed?

Leave the poor family alone. They don't need other people documenting this loss.