20 August 2007

Lauren Winner

Lauren Winner,one of my favorite writers, is coming to speak at the Rochester Church.

I first met Lauren in 2006 at the main ZOE Worship and Leadership Conference in Nashville. I've enjoyed trading stories, and ideas with her over the last several months. She's one of the author's I want non-believers and skeptics to read when investigating the spiritual life and thought of modern day Christians.

Here's an excerpt from Girl Meets God.

Evangelical friends of mine are always trying to trim the corners and smooth the rough edges of what they call My Witness in order to shove it into a tidy, born-again conversion narrative. They want an exact date, even an hour, and I never know what to tell them. The datable conversion story has a venerable history. Paul, the most famous Jew to embrace Jesus, established the prototype of the dramatic, datable rebirth. He was walking on the road to Damascus, Luke tells us, off to persecute the zealous disciples of the newly dead carpenter when Jesus appeared to him, and Paul became his follower instead of his foe. Centuries later, John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, was atttending a meeting in Aldersgate Street; listening to Luther's Preface to the Epistle to the Romans, his heart was "strangely warmed." At that instant, Wesley later wrote in his journal, he felt that he "did trust in Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death." Less notable personages have dramatic conversion stories, too. My high school physics teacher sat in her kitchen reading the Gospel of Mark one day when, in an instant, she knew that Jesus was God and had died for her sins. My friend Tim dedicated his life to Christ when he was four at a mission's conference at Bibletown, in Boca Raton, Florida. He had seen a puppet show about Jesus knocking on your heart. So he opened it and asked Him to come in.

My story doesn't fit very well with this conversion archetype. A literature scholar would say there are too many "ruptures" in the "narrative." But she might also say that ruptures are the most interesting part of any text, that in the ruptures we learn something new. I had no epiphanic on-the-road-to-Damascus experience. I can't tell my friends that I became a Christian January 8, 1993, or on my twentieth birthday. What I can tell them is that I grew up Jewish. I can tell them about the time I dreamed of Jesus rescuing me from a kidnapping; I can tell them I woke up certain, as certain as I have ever been about anything, that the dream was from God and the dream was about Jesus, about how He was real and true and sure. I can tell them about reading At Home in Mitford, a charming if somewhat saccharine novel about an Episcopal priest in North Carolina, a novel that left me wanting something Christians seemed to have. I can tell them about my baptism.

12 comments:

Stratoz said...

I agree with this writer that for most of us, even those with BIG events, life is a continual birth into the kingdom.

Every time we let something go that limits our life, every time we feel blessed and let God into our heart, every time we see a smile directed at us, every time we are filled with hope when it does not seem possible... we are born again. I hope to be born again as many times a day, hour, minute, as I can.

Anonymous said...

Wayne,

Thanks for the insight.

One writer talks about his conversion story in terms of addiction to being born again "again."

I like your slant on the former. :)

2 Samuel 24:24 said...

YAY FOR LAUREN WINNER!! I can't wait for her to come! I seriously told my parents I'm taking those mornings off that she is in chapel! Anyway one of those days begins Rosh Hashanah so I get half day off anyway! Woo! I can't wait for her to come! Are all of them going to be the same speech? Do you know? I would probably still come to all of them but it would be good to know. If you could let me know I would appreciate it!! Have a great day Josh!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one without a second birthday. I actually had a friend recently who celebrated her second birthday each year and was kind of confused until I realized that it was the day of her baptism. Now, I could tell you the exact date of my baptism, but my coming to believe in and trust in Jesus happened about two years before, over the course of a couple of months. I have been asked what day I asked Jesus into my heart before, and I thought that maybe I became a follower incorrectly; my asking Jesus to lead my life was a very gradual thing. Anyway. Good to know that I'm not the only one. :)

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

Tuesday is about spiritual formation for the leader (that's you) and Wednesday is about her journey thus far.

The chapel stuff she'll do at RC is from "Real Sex"--fyi.

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Loved reading your thoughts on conversion...good stuff. You are on the journey with us...

Peace.

Josh

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with being evangelical. If you can't point to a time in your life where you made a commitment to Christ, your faith is flawed. I am not ashamed to say that I am evangelical. Unfortunately, a lot of this post-modern thought that has been brought to Rochester is a poison.

-David Metzler, Rochester alum

Anonymous said...

David,

Lauren is an evangelical but she laments the fact that so many evangelicals only understand salvation as a one time event ignoring the ongoing nature of conversion.

Conversion can be a one time event but it is also a process; a life-long journey.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate and invite different viewpoints than my own.

Courtney Strahan said...

i think i really connected with winner in this book. i have always felt that my journey and transformation into Christianity has been, and will be, more of a continuous journey. while my baptism was definitely a huge thing for me, it is still only one of the many significant things that have helped create or form my relationship with Christ. i've often wondered if that is wrong being here at a church of Christ school because everyone else has that "story" or "time" when "it all made sense", but i have really come to cherish and appreciate the fact that my walk is different from many others around me in my life right now. it's good. i like this discussion here....

Anonymous said...

Courtney,

Thanks for your thoughts...I like this part: "while my baptism was definitely a huge thing for me, it is still only one of the many significant things that have helped create or form my relationship with Christ."

More people (than not) share your experience than you realize.

Me included.

Anonymous said...

Josh
I am a little late on the conversation but I just happened to listen to Lauren Winner on the Mars Hill Podcast. She spoke about Ester. Check it out if you have not already

Anonymous said...

"Lauren is an evangelical but she laments the fact that so many evangelicals only understand salvation as a one time event ignoring the ongoing nature of conversion.

Conversion can be a one time event but it is also a process; a life-long journey.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate and invite different viewpoints than my own."

The Bible says that you are either with God or against Him. According to the Bible, when we die, we either go to heaven or hell. One is either in the Lamb's book of life, or they are not. It's a basic tenet of our faith.

I regret that many do not grow in their faith spiritually [and intellectually to some extent], but I don't feel that God will turn away the "baby Christians". Christians". God knows their heart and love for Him. I see Christian growth as building upon our conversion experience.

CHRISTIAN GROWTH is a lifelong experience from my point of view. I am not advocating that we continue sinning so that grace may increase shortly after our conversion experience.