14 August 2007

It's the Perfect Time of Year...





This is one of my favorite times of the year. School is about to start. Syllabi’s are being written, schedules mapped out. Once dark and dusty dorm rooms are now filled with new TV’s and photos of family and friends who will be missed.

Since kindergarten, my life has been shaped and molded by the pace of the school calendar.

Throughout high school, undergrad, graduate, and now teaching—I feel renewed each August as I anticipate the students who will come to Rochester College for the first time, the students who will take my class for the first time, and for the returning students who are building upon their previous work. I also realize some students are coming back this semester looking for a completely new start.

I met this afternoon with my fellow professors in the religion department for a time of update, reflection, and prayer. I’m honored to serve along side these dedicated people who take seriously the task of equipping students to engage the world in powerful ways.

This semester, I’m teaching a new course with one of my good friends and mentors entitled Introduction to the Christian Faith. I’m teaching the class with the approach that I want our post-modern students to understand the faith in ways that make them come alive to the biblical themes of spirituality, justice, friendship and beauty. This is the class textbook. Check it out, it’s an important work.

Here are the first four lectures of the class.

Justice: U2, Martin Luther King Jr., and Desmond Tutu” (with clips from Bono at the National Prayer Breakfast)

Spirituality: Jesus, Buddha, and Dream Catchers” (with clips from the short film The Many Faces of Faith)

Relationships: We Were Made for Each Other” (with excerpts from Henry Nouwen)

Beauty: In the Eye of the Beholder?” (with clips from Planet Earth and Life is Beautiful)

6 comments:

Stratoz said...

your course sounds interesting. I am trying to finish off my summer program, but fall is so close I need to be preparing for that also. My wife's father grew up in a Church of Christ in SE Texas, your church seems much different. always good thing to see that it is wrong to assume based on a name.

Eric said...

JG,
I hate that I missed the meeting yesterday. I didn't get an email about it until 25 minutes before it started. (That'll make you feel loved!) Let me know if I missed anything important.
erm

Anonymous said...

Wayne,

Thanks for the note. Do you teach?

Eric,

I just emailed you back...sorry about the confusion.

Stratoz said...

I have taught for twenty years, the past 8 have been running a horticulture program at a private school for special education students. The summer is gardening in the morning and cooking in the afternoon.

a blessing.

Courtney Strahan said...

i can't wait to get back...

Anonymous said...

Courtney,

We are looking forward to having you back with the body at Rochester.

JG