26 August 2007

Manresa Rest

I spent all day Saturday afternoon at the Menresa Jesuit Retreat Center with some fellow RC faculty and staff and about 35 students.

We listened to encouraging words about spiritual formation and the centered life. I shared some thoughts about the spiritual disciplines in my own life (sabbath, tithing, exercise, working with the poor, and reading). Among other things, we attended a healing service, Taize worship time, and we also practiced the discipline of silence for two different segments of significant length.

The time of silence was exactly what I needed.

Prior to Saturday, the voices in my head were so loud…I didn’t even realize they were talking. Voices regarding work, school, teaching, grad school, family, ego, etc.

Silence creates the space God needs to mute the voices. In silence, God speaks loudest.

---

Sunday, I returned to teach at Rochester Church with Patrick and participated in the baptism of a good friend, Shaun Hover. Six months ago, Shaun was not interested in the spiritual life. Now, he's one of the best young leaders I've ever been around. It is a testimony to God, that people are still moved and changed by the story of Jesus.

I like this photo because it captures the mystery of what God does to us in the experience of baptism...the mystery being that God can only raise us up if we first allow him to bury us.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you would like to see the other pictures that I took at the baptism... well, you don't have facebook, do you... Kara does. Ask her to log on and look through my photo album for this summer, they'll be in there.

I think we all needed that time of silence and refreshment. Thanks for being near for that; you have helped me quite a lot this year, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Email me the photos!

JG

Anonymous said...

What a Sunday that was! Thanks to you, Emily, the other Emily, Jason, and all who have worked to keep the Wild Kids coming to the Lord.

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in hearing more about what the Taize practice is. Does the meditation involve clearing your mind and focusing on nothingness that is similar to New Age followers? Don't get me wrong; I am not calling my fellow Catholic brothers and sisters "heathens". However, I worry that a few of their traditions may not be rooted in the Scriptures. I do not find meditation to be wrong, but it must be done in the context of reflection after reading the Bible. Through meditation, we can apply those truths to our lives.

I'd like to state publically that I always appreciated when Minister Mead came to speak at chapel. Thanks for always sharing while making us laugh.

Josh, your last comment made me think. It bring to mind the debate about whether God chose us to be Christians before we were born(predestination) or did we have to choose Him(free will)? I tend to side with those in the free will crowd. Regardless of what anyone believes in regards to that issue, the power of God's salvation provides hope in a dark world. Praise God for this decision!

-David Metzler, RC alum

Anonymous said...

Taize is all about scripture. Scripture is read from beginning to end, with worship in between.

Scripture becomes the focus instead of the interpretation of scripture (teaching, preaching, etc.)

I can tell you more about this if you are interested. It's an encounter with the Spirit for those who are not charismatic (to paraphrase a friend).

Stratoz said...

I am so glad you have a Jesuit Retreat Center in your life. I am just back from an 8 day retreat. The silence is gone--- especially dining out in a crowded restaurant was very strange after 8 days of silent meals. But I catch myself and call for stillness.

Yes, much to die in us that prevents us from seeing the unfolding of the kingdom. That is why I retreat. It is great that you introduce your students to the retreat center

Anonymous said...

Wayne.

I have a friend who did a 40 day silent retreat. He has written extensively about his experience, frustration, and street education.

There is, as you wrote, much "to die within us" that requires silence in order to be exposed.