02 July 2007

The 313, Or, Why Detroit is the Best Sports Town in America





Detroit is the best all around sports city in the United States. I offer the following top five reasons (and no, I’m not writing this from work…I thought of this while spending too much time on the treadmill this weekend).


#5 The Detroit Lions: Now, before you laugh, hear me out. The Detroit Lions have been one of the worst Pro Football teams in the NFL over the last 20 years. And yet, do you know who is consistently in the top echelon of ticket sales, year in and year out—you guessed, the Detroit Kittens.

#4 The Detroit Red Wings: I don’t know much about hockey but I know the Red Wings are one of the storied franchises in the NHL with three recent Stanley Cup Championships.

#3 U of M Football: One of the oldest and most accomplished programs in the history of college football, Michigan plays in front of 100, 000 people plus every Saturday. While I admit that the Big Ten is not in the same class as the SEC, it is still one of the great football conferences around.

#2 The Detroit Pistons: Three championships over the last two decades, along with five NBA Finals Appearances in that same stretch, and too many Eastern Conference championships to count. Dave Bing, Isaiah Thomas, Adrian Dantley, Dennis Rodman, Joe Dumars, Vinnie Johnson, Grant Hill, Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton all make this one of the top five NBA franchises. And they play ten minutes from where I live and work. I've written about my obession with the Pistons in previous posts.

#1 The Detroit Tigers: I might have included the Tigers number one even if Leyland et al had not resurrected the Tigers last season. The Tigers play in one of the premiere ball parks (Comerica) with the one of the best (save Tampa Bay) core of young prospects in Brandon Inge, Curtis Granderson, Andrew Miller, Jeremy Bonderman, Justin Verlander, Joel Zumaya, and Cameron Maybin. Not too mention Ordonez, Polanco, Guillen, Sheffield, and Kenny Rogers! One of the original teams of baseball, the Tigers are a joy to watch. Some of my best memories with my grandfather are from the rightfield bleacher seats at Tiger Stadium.



One writer for ESPN agrees with me.

8 comments:

Kara Graves said...

even though I joke around, I love that you love sports, and I love that we can play sports and go to games together!

Anonymous said...

It isn't just the teams -- it's the town, too. This town loves its teams, its downtown, and its community life. It is a big town with a small town feel. Where small towns in Texas might obsess over the local high school football team, we are that way about all our teams, our river, the Ren Center, the fireworks, the international car show, and our parades and rallies. Go Detroit!

Courtney Strahan said...

i need to get to a tigers game soon...i've lived here 3 years and haven't been to a game, yet. see you this weds night? i'll be in town and at the service...

Anonymous said...

KG--that's good to know, I'll remind you that you once wrote, "I love that you love sports, and I love that we can play sports and go to games together!"

PMiddy--good observations, I'd never thought of the small feel of Detroit.

Courtney--I'm glad you'll be back tomorrow. You can check in on Patrick--I'll be in Nashville for a few days speaking at my alma mater. However, we look forward to having you back in August!

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Detroit is a great town...no argument there. But, at least for last year's world series, you would have to give the nod to ST. LOUIS for the most amazing World Championship for a team that no one expected to be there. I love the role of the underdog. I guess that is why I can't stand the Yankees.

Anonymous said...

Hey, friend. Could you check out my most recent blog? I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the topic.
emilyjean.wordpress.com

Em

Anonymous said...

Brad,

St. Louis is in the top five for sure.

5. St. Louis
4. New York
3. Pittsburgh
2. Cleveland
1. Detroit

My Midwestern bias is all over that list.

But history, and contemporary events support the list, I think.

Emily, When I get some extra time, I'll head on over to your blog. Thanks for the heads up.

Peace.

JG

Anonymous said...

Ok, maybe Boston is in the top five as well.