24 July 2007

A few people (whom I consider good friends) have asked me recently “how do you prevent from being burned out?” That’s a good question. Since the invention of the light bulb and subsequent inventions (television, internet, etc.) the work day now stretches far passed the past the former marker of “sundown”.

It is no secret that I enjoy working. In fact, much of what I do I do not consider work. Between working with young adults and college students, preaching and teaching, and teaching college religion courses—I’m actually energized by most of this work.

Here’s what I do to prevent burnout.

First, I love to read. I read books other than theology, philosophy and history. I actually prefer a good novel like this one or this one.

Second, I love to exercise by running and lifting weights. Nothing remedies stress like the bench press and a three mile run. One of the great discoveries of living with Kara is that we enjoy working out together.

Third, I love a good movie (too many to name) or the occasional television show (The West Wing, Lost and 24 have been the escape points over the last few years).

Fourth, I love the Tigers and Pistons. Whether it’s going to a game (rare but fun) or watching a game, it gives me pleasure to know who the “good guys” are (the Pistons and Tigers) and who the “bad guys” are (anyone playing the Tigers and Pistons).

There are other ways I “regroup”. How do you relax? What fills you up when you are depleted? What breaths life into you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Driving. Expensive as of late, but nothing can clear my head like a good drive. Orion road, driving west from Rochester road is probably one of my favorite stretches to drive with the windows down and the music up. :)

Courtney Strahan said...

i am definitely gonna have to agree with emily. windows down, music up...great alone, "regroup" time for me, too. reading and tv (CSI, the original series, is top choice if possible) are my other choices. i used to play a lot of basketball, but haven't really since i've been to college, so i'd like to say sports is one...but when i do get to go out and play, it's definitely one of those good "regrouping" activities.

Anonymous said...

Emily and Courtney:

That's interesting...I have never thought of driving as a relaxing venture. It only stresses me out.

TO each her own.

Eric said...

Josh,
My question for you would be slightly different from the burnout question. I am curious what spiritual disciplines (classic or non-traditional) you practice to ground your life in the life of God. What disciplines are a part of the natural rhythm of your life? How do you open your life to the transforming work of the Spirit?
Just curious.

Anonymous said...

Eric,

I did a blog exactly as you've described a few months back.

I have my own spiritual disciplines: slilence/sabbath one day a week; Drinking deeply from Scripture and other literature as often as possible; and confession (with male friends on a regular basis).

Kara and I have our spiritual disciplines we do together: Working with the poor of Detroit nearly every week; exercising together (I checked with Randy Harris and he said exercising counts); confession (small groups together); and tithing (a practice that has changed our outlook in profound ways).