28 July 2009

CALLING ALL BOOK WORMS

Here's a list of books I've read over the last six weeks or so. Some I've mentioned before on this blog, some are new. I wish I could write a blog about each book.

---

Blood Done Sign My Name. Timothy Tyson’s story of growing up during the height of tension in the Civil Rights Movement. His father, a Methodist minister, stood for equality and dialog when it wasn’t popular or kosher.

The Elements of Style. A classic on the basics of writing well. It’s stood the test of time.

Writing to Change the World. A little bit of everything, this books dares you to imagine writing as a form of changing hearts and minds.

How Not to Speak of God. Written by a new favorite author (Rollins)—I love the way in which he holds the world in one hand, and the story of God in the other. If you are not into philosophy, don’t touch this book.

On Writing Well. Another classic, this is the gold standard for the basics of writing.

Bird by Bird. This book is written by Anne Lamott, need I say more?

This I Believe. A collection of short essays, This I Believe captures core principles people live their lives by in five hundred words or less. Excellent stuff.

An Altar in the World. Part-mystic, part post-modern description of spiritual disciplines—BBT has written another provocative book.

Justification. N.T. Wright’s latest work in which he responds to John Piper’s critique of his overall theology. Why Piper wants to spend his last best days of ministry going after Wright, I can’t understand. Piper represents a group of neo-Calvinists (which includes Marc Driscoll) who want to take on the emerging church and other post-modern expressions of Christianity (as if you can do church outside of culture). Scot McKnight sums up Wright’s work in a powerful way: “Tom Wright has out-Reformed America’s newest religious zealots—the neo-Reformed—by taking them back to Scripture and to its meaning in its historical context. Wright reveals that the neo-Reformed are more committed to tradition than to the sacred text.”

The Unlikely Disciple. The best surprise read of the summer, this memoir chronicles an Ivy League students’ journey to Falwell’s Liberty University. Fantastic read. A must for any young adult serious about their faith. Or any person seeking to minister to the young adult demographic. There's enough in this book to offend you, no matter where you find yourself on the political spectrum of church doctrine.

Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus. Interesting book (in a line of other books put out by Zondervan) providing rich historical background per the Jewishness of Jesus. There are others, better written, but this is excellent popular level reading.

10 comments:

judy thomas said...

If you are ready for fiction, try Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. Pulitzer this year.

Josh Graves said...

Good call, Judy. I have been lean on my fiction reading.

Can't wait to swap books with you in person soon.

Jonathan Storment said...

Read Unlikely Disciple too, liked it alot, also Justification.

I just got The Misunderstood Jew per something you said on here. Haven't started reading it yet, but it looks good. Thanks for keeping us updated on what's on your nightstand.

Tenshi said...

I've been Reading "Undercover" by John Bevere as well as "He Chose Nails" by Max Lucado - I've read them before, but every time I read them they always bring something new to the spotlight.

I also follow their blogs/websites - lots of good reading there!

http://blog.messengerinternational.org/
http://www.maxlucado.com/read/

if you're interested. :)

Josh Graves said...

JSTORM--you'll love Levine. She's incredible.

TENSHI--thanks for the suggestion.

Keith Clark said...

I agree completely with your assessment of Justification. It is simply an outstanding book.

I read How (Not) to Speak of God after hearing Randy recommend it at Summer Celebration. I appreciate so much the manner in which Rollins seems to do philosophy with an eye always looking toward the church and the broader kingdom. I simply wish it were more accessible, for it seems to me the content is as pertinent as anything out there right now for Western Christians.

Another I enjoyed this last week was The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark. I appreciated the nuanced way he makes his argument for questioning media, government, interpretation, and ourselves, among others, for it allows him, I think, to circumvent the defensiveness of the reader.

Josh Graves said...

Thanks Keith. I've had the "Sacredness" book suggested by several folks.

I won't be too far from you in a few weeks--I'm moving to Nashville. Look forward to more discussions.

Jeff said...

Josh - I'm an Otter Creeker looking forward to you coming soon. I read a couple of chapters of Unlikely Disciple in Borders a couple of weeks ago and have tagged it for future reading. I'm a recent book worm after finally picking up Mere Discipleship, which has led me to read others by Greg Boyd, Hauerwas, etc.

We also just bought a house in Burkitt Place, and I hear we'll be neighbors (that sounds like we're stalking you...actually we are in life group with Amy Westerman, and she let us know we'd be down the street). Looking forward to you and the family being here!

Jeff McInturff

Josh Graves said...

Jeff: can't wait to meet you! Glad we can swap books too.

Looking forward to being in Nashville in a month.

Randall Wilcher is going to "oversee" our lawn while we're still in Michigan. If you need anything, let us know.

JG

Casey McCollum said...

Read the Unlikely Disciple and laughed, cringed, reflected, and laughed so more. Great book.

Also read Sacredness... a powerful charge to live an examined life. Dark is an excellent wordsmith.