24 April 2009

Sabbath Reflection on Leadership

It (Christian leadership) is not a leadership of power and control, but a leadership of powerlessness and humility in which the suffering servant of God, Jesus Christ, is made manifest. I, obviously am not speaking about a psychologically weak leadership in which the Christian leader is simply the passive victim of the manipulations of his milieu. No, I am speaking of a leadership in which power is constantly abandoned in favor of love. It is a true spiritual leadership. Powerlessness and humility in the spiritual life do not refer to people who have no spine and who let everyone else make decisions for them. They refer to people who are so deeply in love with Jesus they are ready to follow him wherever he guides them, always trusting that, with him, they will find life and find it abundantly. From Henri Nowen's In the Name of Jesus (63-64).

2 comments:

Robin said...

Josh,

You have no idea how much this post has touched me. One of my most recurring prayers is that God teach me to lead (both my family and His worshippers) in a way that glorifies only Him. Thank you for sharing this. I needed it more than you know.

Blessings to you and your family.

Josh Graves said...

Robin,

Thanks for the note bro. Nouwen is a guide and resource for me. I read him constantly.

JG