19 April 2009

Eschatology

Joel Stein, Maria Shriver, Mark Twain and John Lennon--what could these four possibly have in common? All of them are interested, on some level, in the Judeo-Christian reality of heaven.

Joel Stein, a popular writer for the L.A. Times, wrote: "Last March, after some campaigning, I got Starbucks to put a quote from me on the their paper cups. It said 'Heaven is totally overrated. It seems boring. Clouds, listening to people play the harp. It should be somewhere you can't wait to go, like a luxury hotel. Maybe blue skies and soft music were enough to keep people in line in the 17th century, but heaven has to step it up a bit. They're basically getting by because they only have to be better than hell.'”

Maria Shriver wrote a children’s book about heaven (cleverly titled What’s Heaven?). In that book she describes heaven as: "somewhere you believe in. . . . It’s a beautiful place where you can sit on soft clouds and talkto other people who are there. You can sit next to the stars, which are the brightest of anywhere in the universe. . . . If you’re good throughout life, then you get to go to heaven. . . . When your life is finished here on earth, God sends angels down to take you up to Heaven to be with him. . . . "

John Lennon encouraged an entire generation (partly because of religion's misuse of the afterlife) to imagine the world "without heaven."

Perhaps Mark Twain captured cynicism and questions regarding heaven the best when we wrote, “The only thing that trumps the suffering of hell is the boredom of heaven."

We're starting a series on "heaven" at Rochester Church today. We're going to consider the diverse language and metaphors employed in both testaments. I firmly believe that "eschatology" is making a comeback in many religious circles because people are starting to realize (again) that your understanding of the end (that is, what God intends to do with humans and creation) shapes everything (ethics, morality, passion, calling) in the present.

15 comments:

phil said...

Josh,

You said an “understanding of the end shapes everything in the present.” Does this “everything” include behavior? In other words, do you think one can have an inaccurate understanding of eschatology but still presently behave as a follower of Christ? Does one need an accurate comprehension of heaven to live as he/she should be living now?

I guess the questions stem from the people who “walked with God” in the OT but didn’t necessarily have an understanding of eschatology as we do today?

Peace be with you brother.

Josh Graves said...

Good question. I don't think knowledge of the "end" is a perfect remedy for behavior. Rather, having God's big purposes in mind/in heart allows you to see what God is really up to you with "heaven." That is, more than saving "souls" . . . God wants to redeem the entire story.

As for the OT...some OT people, in my opinion, had a theo-centric understanding of time/space that many modern Christians lack. So, in essence, their eschatology was better (for lack of a better word) because they'd not been co-opted by Greek gnosticism (or neo-platonic dualism).

That's all for another day. I promise it matters. At least, to me.

JG

Anonymous said...

My thoughts on Stein's quote:

If an almighty God who created all things good has prepared it as a reward, I will take his word for it that it is a place I will enjoy.

Simplistic but it works for me.

phil said...

Josh,

I believe understanding what “Kingdom of Heaven/God” means will play a significant role as to how we live out our lives, I believe our understanding of God’s story here and now which in a way reflects the “end” does matter; I hope I didn’t communicate otherwise…

Josh Graves said...

Phil,

I hear you. I know you well enough to know you were trying to "push" the conversation forward.

Great question. I love how you framed it.

Josh Graves said...

jplewis: Thanks for your comments. I think that ignoring the larger history of Europe and the U.S. regarding heaven is troubling . . . that is . . . when you find yourself in "apologetics" mode. I understand your perspective. However, put yourself in the shoes of a legit skeptic.

We've got to be more nuanced and creative in our readings of what God is up to in history/future.

My two cents. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You're welcome here at any point.

JG

judy thomas said...

I'm all for being creative and nuanced. I believe my generation loved preaching more about heaven than about Christ.

Judy T.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
My comment was less of an argument in "apologetics mode" as it was in thought framing for myself of what heaven will be like.

I agree that would not work in an apologetics discussion with a skeptic. What will work.. I am not sure.

Thanks for approaching the topic, it has my interest.

Justin

Josh Graves said...

Judy,

Great point. We have to learn this lesson from our history. That's why Jesus' banquet/party language regarding heaven is son interesting to me.

Paul talks about birth (Romans 8). John talks about weddings (Rev. 21). Jesus talks about parties and banquets (among some other things).

Josh Graves said...

Justin,

Gotcha. I tend to always be in that "mode" (i.e. thinking about how 'outsiders' perceive Christian belief). That's not always a good thing.

Thanks for sharing.

JG

IN LOVING MEMORY said...

Josh,
I am so excited, I will be getting a double dose of heaven! Our minister has also started a series on heaven. It's like God, knowing that I love our preacher and sit it his feet like Mary at the feet of Jesus, as well as loving to listen to you and Patrick while I'm at work, has decided that I must be more heavenly minded and put you on the same page, thousands of miles a part.

Congratulations on becoming a dad, any day now, right?

May God bless you and keep you and may Kara have a smooth delivery free of any complications. Maybe she will be like my sister-in-law and have her babies within a matter of 2-4 hours from the 1st hard contraction!

Thank you to you and Patick for the work you do there. I pray we can mimick it here.

Sharon
Lamar, AR

Josh Graves said...

Sharon,

Thanks for your note. I'm sure God is up to great things in your part of the country.

Have a great week.

JG

Anonymous said...

Josh,

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed Sunday's lesson. Coming from an exclusionary church growing up that focused on all that was wrong with things not them, I really enjoy how you mix in real-life interests, stories, media and of course thought provoking "preachin'" in a way that poeple of any age, sex, race and religion can enjoy and learn from.

Lee Lingo

Josh Graves said...

Lee,

Great to see you online. I hope you and Becky (et al) are doing well. Thanks for the kind words per Sunday. It was good to see you in the communion line. We appreciate your presence in this church family.

JG

phil said...

Josh,

What was the Jewish understanding of "eternal life" when Jesus arrives on the scene?

I ask because I thought about the "pre-resurrection" stories of both the expert in the law and the the rich young ruler who in Luke's letter ask "what they should be doing to inherit eternal life?"