23 May 2008

Running

Today is a day in which I'm actually glad to be training for the Motor City Sprint Triathlon coming up in less than a month. This morning I went for a nice, long run and I've felt great all day. Running does that to me for some reason. I know some people hate it . . . some days I hate it. But most days, after I make it past the first ten minutes, I get into a rhythm, and let my mind drift off to theological debates, the Tigers chances of making the playoffs, is Chauncey Billups going to start to dominate the Boston series, a new course I'm teaching in Uganda this summer, who did I forget to call last night, how did I drop that ball at first base last night in our softball game?

And usually, around the 30 or 50 minute mark, after time with Bruce or Bono is finished, I take a nice long walk. Occasionally I get the proverbial "runner's high" . . . most times, I just feel at peace.

We are flesh and spirit, body and soul. Running keeps me connected and whole.

4 comments:

preacherman said...

Wow.
Sounds like you are going to have a great time.
I hope you have a blessed week.

Luke said...

I figured you would be spending most of your time praying for Chauncey.

Josh Graves said...

Luke: Chauncey's o.k. The Celtics are in for a heavyweight fight.

Franklin Wood said...

Hey, are you running on June 22? I'm running a 5K that morning! Yeah, lost a contest with teens in raising money for World Vision.
Tell us how your triathlon goes!